Portable Super Famicom

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

zipper
Portable Super Famicom

Post by zipper » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:07 am

Hi - Here's my project.

Just done the custom control boards as in Ben's book - hooked them up and they work well. My thought was that if I could build these boards, then I could build the rest
I've got all the bits i need now and just need the time to put it all together. I've spent about £100 in total now and will need to put in a good few Saturdays work, but it's fun.

I'm based in the UK, so the project had unique problems like metric measurements, lack of materials (can't find pad-per-hole board in the UK for love nor money, NTSC PS1 screen needed, never got the SNES2 over here etc.).

Hope to be posting more round here in the future.
Would like to thank Ben if he reads this too.

grahf

Post by grahf » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Looks great so far, I'm probably going to do a SFC color scheme to my portable snes. Did they release the psone screen over there at all? If your confident with your soldering skills, you can just tap RGB from the SNES board with a few simple components. Much better picture quality anyways.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Well, the RGB on SNES is arguable....there's not much of a difference on the 2d consoles. Don't get me wrong, it will make the color a bit more vibrant, but the extra work may not be worth it, especially if this is your first time soldering.

CTFan

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Wow, that is one good looking portable so far. Keep up the good work.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

zipper

Post by zipper » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:40 pm

I was going to go the RGB route and use a PAL screen (we did get them, but in our PAL format)... but I couldn't easily find instructions on the RGB mod or confirmation it worked + I didn't know how a PAL screen would differ, or how to hook RGB up (I didn't realise this forum was here or I could have answered all this!).

It was going to be hard enough without these complications, so I decided to import everything from the US :-). I can't wait to have a crack at the next stages. I'm following the instructions in the book pretty closely, but will do a less complex battery compartment.

+ thanks for the encouragement :D

A_Username

Re: Portable Super Famicom

Post by A_Username » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 pm

zipper wrote:Hi - Here's my project.

Just done the custom control boards as in Ben's book - hooked them up and they work well. My thought was that if I could build these boards, then I could build the rest
I've got all the bits i need now and just need the time to put it all together. I've spent about £100 in total now and will need to put in a good few Saturdays work, but it's fun.

I'm based in the UK, so the project had unique problems like metric measurements, lack of materials (can't find pad-per-hole board in the UK for love nor money, NTSC PS1 screen needed, never got the SNES2 over here etc.).

Hope to be posting more round here in the future.
Would like to thank Ben if he reads this too.
That case is fricken awesome, as good if not better than ben's.

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:57 pm

Dude that case>Ben's...

Seriously sweet case dude...
God Bless Hot Glue

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:43 pm

'Eh, I'm sick of people putting a circle around their screen just because that's how the PCB is shaped.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:57 pm

^ Fine you can waste space and make it a square. I love it by the way!

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 pm

do you plan on doing a region mod or just playing NTSC SNES games?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:55 pm

atari2600a wrote:'Eh, I'm sick of people putting a circle around their screen just because that's how the PCB is shaped.
Dude, stop being so critical. His case is totally kickass, and you don't have the right to comment on his hard work until you get up and make your own portable. Nearly 4 months and 623 posts later, we still haven't seen any progress. Not to mention the fact that you just got a soldering iron a few weeks ago. Yeah, a REAL worthy critic. :roll:

CTFan

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:21 am

Agreed with CTF

And I hate to break it to you guys, but isn't that BEN's design? Not better than his, but his with the PAL buttons.
Hey, sup?

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:30 am

Yes, that is essentially Ben's design...and the circle shape is there because that's the smallest size the case can be while having the screen in the middle. Unless you recreated the PSone screen PCB or cut it down a lot (which is hard, trust me :P) it won't get much smaller....and hell, the circle makes it look better, too ;).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

zipper

Post by zipper » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:21 am

Yep - it's 100% Ben's design. Like I say, I'm following the (great) book.
I like the SFC / PAL colour scheme, so modified Ben's graphic pack - that's the only difference so far. I'll be keeping the sticker on the back crediting the design to Ben.
I'm planning on getting a bit more done this weekend - at least the speaker grilles and the battery compartment. Will grab a photo.

I have to say though - it's not been as easy as I'd hoped, and I may not have started if I'd known everything involved - but I'm hoping it will be worth it once I'm finished :D The sad thing is - I don't think I'll be taking it outside much once I'm done as I wont want to break it!

Turbo Tax 1.0:
I'm not going to mod the console itself to play pal games - I've got a real nice selection of NTSC games.

DK

Post by DK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:46 pm

I have the same problemo. Hard to get portablising bits in Britian :( I just wish we could get a PAL Snoac :lol: