Non-volatile gameboy saves

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
Non-volatile gameboy saves

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:58 am

I modded my copy of Pokemon Gold to save games without relying on the internal save battery. I'm fairly certain this mod can be performed on most other gameboy games too.

Sorry I couldn't make a video, but you wouldn't be able to see anything because of the horrible glare on the screen. Here's a picture of the cartridge.

To do this, I desoldered the SRAM chip (the one on the bottom left), and replaced it with a non-volatile FM28V020 FRAM chip. The FM28V020 doesn't require a battery to retain it's memory, and it has the same footprint as the SRAM chip that was in the cartridge so no fancy rewiring is needed. I figured this out by accident, but in order to make this mod work, you need to lift the top right pin of the FRAM and leave it disconnected.

I have a good feeling that this would work in n64 memory cards too. It just wouldn't be multi-bank (like Kibble's non-volatile n64 memory card mod)

If you decide to do this mod, please buy the chip as opposed to ordering a sample of it. It's totally up to you, but these companies can't keep making quality products if their not making any money :wink:
Last edited by stuntpenguin007 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

lucidPerspective

Re: Non-volatile gameboy saves

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:59 am

*put's hands up in the air while jumping up and down* "I was there, I was there, this is awesome!" *looks around, eyes wide with excitement*

Good work stuntpenguin! It's awesome how you figured out the voltage problem by accident, seems to always be the way with new discoveries :P

e3c

Post by e3c » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:00 am

this looks awesome just pm'd both of you. any way to make it work with 4 way like the n64 one by kibble?
My For Sale Thread

^ Rare Moniter, Many Consoles, And More!

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 am

:shock:

that is so totally awesome!

*goes to order enough for all gb games*

:D
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 am

Just a little disclaimer: There could be unknown problems with this mod, so if anyone does this mod and something goes wrong, don't blame me.

So far I've only found one problem, and that is that the in game clock won't stay set in pokemon gold. You have to reset the clock each time you start the game.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

e3c

Post by e3c » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:17 am

what price? i want this
My For Sale Thread

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:42 pm

stuntpenguin007 wrote:So far I've only found one problem, and that is that the in game clock won't stay set in pokemon gold. You have to reset the clock each time you start the game.
That sounds like a minor inconvenience lol. might be worth leaving the battery in there just for the clock, as long as it won't interfere with the fram chip. would that work?

e3c wrote:what price? i want this
stuntpenguin and myself have already offered to do this for you.. no need to spam the thread, just keep it to PM's :P

e3c

Post by e3c » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Meh :?
My For Sale Thread

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Very interesting! ...perhaps instead of installing a new battery for the clock, instead use of those slow drain caps...then you'd have pretty much infinite recharge capability in addition to more permanent data holding power. Of course, it still comes back to weather or not the cap will interfere with the FRAM chip...
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

e3c

Post by e3c » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:18 pm

if it can o 4 save switch youll have over 20 right away
My For Sale Thread

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 am

Metallica Man X wrote:Very interesting! ...perhaps instead of installing a new battery for the clock, instead use of those slow drain caps...then you'd have pretty much infinite recharge capability in addition to more permanent data holding power. Of course, it still comes back to weather or not the cap will interfere with the FRAM chip...
I'll have to look into that. I was thinking about capacitors earlier, but I didn't know much about them, so I thought they were all instant discharge. The big problem would be getting them to fit inside of the cartridge.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 am

stuntpenguin007 wrote:
Metallica Man X wrote:Very interesting! ...perhaps instead of installing a new battery for the clock, instead use of those slow drain caps...then you'd have pretty much infinite recharge capability in addition to more permanent data holding power. Of course, it still comes back to weather or not the cap will interfere with the FRAM chip...
I'll have to look into that. I was thinking about capacitors earlier, but I didn't know much about them, so I thought they were all instant discharge. The big problem would be getting them to fit inside of the cartridge.
They're only instant discharge if there's enough load on them to discharge them instantly. You could use a low voltage capacitor with a decent capacitance. The big capacitor in the xbox only lasts a few days, though.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

mako321

Post by mako321 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 am

nevermind1534 wrote:
stuntpenguin007 wrote:
They're only instant discharge if there's enough load on them to discharge them instantly. You could use a low voltage capacitor with a decent capacitance. The big capacitor in the xbox only lasts a few days, though.
You mean the xbox cap that keeps date and time? It lasts about 30 minutes to an hour.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:49 am

mako321 wrote:You mean the xbox cap that keeps date and time? It lasts about 30 minutes to an hour.
Maybe I have a different one?
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:44 am

(*EDITED*) The Xbox 360 has volatile memory for its clock. So it looses it data when you unplug it while not connected to Xbox LIVE, or the Internet at all.

I don't know why it would not be keeping the Pokemon Gold Version Clock in memory...

Maybe because it is programmed to keep updating the SRAM (The Original Flash RAM) constantly, and when you changed it to SDRAM - that is when it TRIES to access a certain 'area' of the SDRAM?

I dunno :/

Just guessing. I have no idea about this stuff yet...
Last edited by Haunted360 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.