how to get rid of linux dual boot

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

daguuy
Portablizer
how to get rid of linux dual boot

Post by daguuy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:59 am

my computer has 2 hard drives: one has windows, one has linux (SUSE 10). i don't want to dual boot because i don't like linux, don't need it, never use it, and want to use the linux drive for something else. if i just take out the linux hard drive, the windows hard drive won't boot. my dad's a linux guy so i asked him how to get rid of linux and make windows work but he doesn't know how. do you? if it matters, i have windows 2000.
ImageImage

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:06 am

Get an old DOS boot disk, pop it in, boot it and type fdisk /mbr .

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:12 am

tom61 wrote:Get an old DOS boot disk, pop it in, boot it and type fdisk /mbr .
On XP I put the install disc in, did the repair mode or whatever, and did fixmbr. But that was with XP...

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:24 am

tom61 wrote:Get an old DOS boot disk, pop it in, boot it and type fdisk /mbr .
fdisk /mbr makes it 95 and 98 compatible, and could mess up your XP...

Harshboy
Portablizer

Re: how to get rid of linux dual boot

Post by Harshboy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:30 am

daguuy wrote:my computer has 2 hard drives: one has windows, one has linux (SUSE 10). i don't want to dual boot because i don't like linux, don't need it, never use it, and want to use the linux drive for something else.
"Dont Like" and "Linux" !? How can they be used in one sentence! Lies i tell you! Lies :lol:

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:32 am

If you have acronis Disc Director (a software suite I use, I dunno if you have it), you could put in a regular HD and copy the MBR from it. Since your linux is on a different HD, I'd run windows, go to MSConfig, and fix the boot.ini.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:56 am

totokan wrote:If you have acronis Disc Director (a software suite I use, I dunno if you have it), you could put in a regular HD and copy the MBR from it. Since your linux is on a different HD, I'd run windows, go to MSConfig, and fix the boot.ini.
That is an option but boot.ini wont work. The MBR is over-written with (likely) GRUB, and the configuration files for that are on the Linux partiton.

To clear this up, if you're using XP for your Windows, throw the install/resotor disc in (any will do not just the one you got/lost) and follow the directions the others have made above, I've done it several times, it's the simplest and best way to go.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.