Bought an RGB modded N64, need advice

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Gruso
Bought an RGB modded N64, need advice

Post by Gruso » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm in Australia, and I've purchased an RGB modded N64 from a French ebayer. SCART is non-existent down under, so I've ordered a SCART->VGA box from JS Technology in the UK. I'm still waiting on that to arrive, so I haven't had a chance to test the RGB output yet.

In the meantime I've noticed that the model number is NUS-001(EUR), not (FRA) as I expected. Everything I've read tells me that these can't be RGB modded; the seller himself specified (FRA) in his description. So I'm not feeling too good about things at this stage. I don't want to take any action without testing it though.

I decided to connect it via Composite to see if it at least functioned. It works, but the picture is a barely visible ghost-like image. The sound is fine. More reading tells me that some RGB modders alter or remove the Composite signal, so perhaps this is indicative of a normal RGB mod? I'm also waiting on a Nintendo bit so I can open the thing and see for myself.

Is it sounding normal, or smelling bad? Any advice appreciated :)

sanni

Re: Bought an RGB modded N64, need advice

Post by sanni » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 am

Open it up and have a looks what board is inside.

Gruso

Post by Gruso » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Definitely plan to do that, but I'm
Gruso wrote:... waiting on a Nintendo bit so I can open the thing and see for myself.
Bit of a race now, between the postman delivering the rest of my stuff and the time window I have to file a dispute.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Have you contacting the seller? Who knows, he may have just used a case from a different model N64. Back when I was doing N64 mods, I had quite a few shells all lying about, and I doubt I would have bothered matching up the case to the board.

On a side note, good to see you, Gruso; You were always one of the cooler people on GP32X when I used to hang there. :P

Excellent

Gruso

Post by Gruso » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi palmertech, and thanks :)

The thought of a different case had crossed my mind. I'm still waiting on the other bits and pieces so I can test it for - hopefully within a couple of days. I'd feel like a bit of a goose contacting him if it turns out there's nothing wrong!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:25 am

Hopefully it comes in time! If not, (And I hate to say this, as an eBay seller), I would open a case anyways, saying that the RGB output is not functioning correctly. They give each person a few days to respond at every step, which might buy you enough time to get your stuff. And if it turns out that everything is fine, you can close the case!

I feel bad suggesting that, since he might lose a little hair over it if he knows everything should have worked fine, but in the end it would resolve to a fair solution either way.

Excellent

chunky

Post by chunky » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:36 am

Gruso wrote:Definitely plan to do that, but I'm
Gruso wrote:... waiting on a Nintendo bit so I can open the thing and see for myself.
Bit of a race now, between the postman delivering the rest of my stuff and the time window I have to file a dispute.

Why not just use the pen method to undo the screws?
n64 guides wrote:get a clear hexagonal bic pen, use a pair of pliers to pull out the tip, along with the ink tube inside. then put the tip in a fire and jam it down into the screw hole, and then hold it for 10 seconds and dip it in water. Now you have a custom screwdriver but it does strip pretty easy.
I've used it before to open N64s and GameCubes.

Gruso

Post by Gruso » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 am

Ah, I should have tried that. Anyway, the bit turned up and I'm in. It's RGB modded, but holy butchery Batman!

sanni

Post by sanni » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 am

Have you payed with paypal? If yes file a dispute and you will get your money back. This is unacceptable.
After you got your money back you can still try to fix it with some decend soldering job. :D

armarares

Post by armarares » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm

You mean that THAT works?

Gruso

Post by Gruso » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I still haven't tested it, I'm awaiting my VGA converter from JS Tech.

I don't want to rush into filing a dispute. I'm pretty forgiving really - it's not scam he's running here, just terrible workmanship. Worst case, I give someone a sixpack to fix it. Just getting one of these units in Australia is half the battle.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Wow......
if you aren't confident in fixing it/tidying I could polish it up if your anywhere Near canberra.
so just to confirm.
N64 outputs rgb via a scart adapter (do you know if he amped the image/if its required?)
then you go to scart-vga adapter.
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]