Portable-Palooza (voting thread opened!)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Skyone
Portable-Palooza (voting thread opened!)

Post by Skyone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:27 am

Voting closed!
Life of Brian Wins!!
With a stunning amount of 132 points!

Following him, hailraizer comes in second, and palmertech comes in third!

Now sort the prizes accordingly, hailraizer. :P

Voting open!
Voting Thread
The voting ends Friday, September 5th at 6:00PM PST (9:00PM EST).

Submission open!
Official Thread
The contest ends Sunday, August 31st at 6:00PM PST (9:00PM EST).

Official Prize
An official (humongous) prize has been donated by the very generous hailraizer! Thank you for being so awesome, hailraizer! Check page 10 for the official prize list.

Contest Commenced!
Feel free to post any media relating to to-be-submitted projects for the contest here.

Official Rules and Deadlines
After reading what everyone else has to say about deadlines and such, I've combined everyone's ideas.

1) The contest will last for 6 weeks (to maintain interest and also inspiration).
2) Any portable - defined as a system with a game console, built in controller, screen, and battery to power it all, enclosed in a case - will be accepted. Any console, screen, controller, battery and case will be accepted.
3) There is no prize for winning the contest, except for bragging rights. *IDEA possibly a custom title awarded to the winner or if somebody wants to donate prizes*
4) The contest winner(s) will be chosen through poll of the members of this forum.
5) The contest will commence on Sunday, July 20th. Ending on Sunday, August 31st.
6) Portables will be encouraged to be STARTED on the day of commencement of the contest, so the time limit will be forced onto everyone. Go ahead and cheat though, whatever. :P

Any arguments?

Idea Formulating
We talked a bit about a benheck.com portable creation contest in the other thread, and I figured we could discuss some ideas we have about what the contest could consist of, what will be accepted, etc.

I think we should have a few weeks to build a complete portable, not much limits. Must have a screen, console, controller, and battery built into it, and that's all! Design an functionality are up to the creator.

I don't think there should be much of a prize, unless someone wants to sponsor one. I think that it should just be a boost of inspiration to those who need it (including myself). In the end, a portable is prize enough! Or...the money you sell it for is prize enough!!

Any other ideas?
Last edited by Skyone on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 am

SNES? Not difficult to mod in comparison. (ahem, mine is nearly done so I might be first to post!); or a system in a quirky case (whatever console inside, quirky outside case), or something unusual. What we don't want I suggest, is a standard project case. Just a few thoughts.

I agree, no prize, we build systems for the fun of it. Only relevant prize I think would be that Ben judges the competition and posts the winning system on his frontpage - reward enough! :wink:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:58 am

my friends and I have been planning on building a semi-portable SNES. we just need to lock down the parts before we can begin.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:59 am

Again, I suggest we open all consoles to the competition, it would allow for a broader range of entries, no?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:32 am

Hurry up and start the contest, your holding me up.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 am

yeah, I agree, GCp and newer systems also will be in the event :twisted:

I know my gcp is taking so long for finish it, but I fried arround 3 controller boards, and working with wood is also slowly sometimes anyway I want to sign in into the event ;)

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:30 am

I'll have a working Ps2p before a few weeks are up.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 am

I'll join!

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:40 am

I am in
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:23 am

Sounds good to me. When we did the controller one, it was every type of controller, so this should be the same with every type of console.

@bacteria:
What we don't want I suggest, is a standard project case. Just a few thoughts.
Some people have made really really really nice cases outa project cases. We should allow ANYTHING, as long as it meets a case, battery, console, and screen.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:35 am

I like it; I really like the idea of Ben picking a winner, but if he does, I'd like him to come up with the criteria for 'grading' the various projects, if only so we can see where 'the master' thinks we can improve as individuals. :wink:

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 am

I'm in!! Maybe this will get my butt into gear for the Namco. Which has been in portablizing hell since last October. :oops: :lol:

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

techknott

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 am

Count me in..

Not upto building a snes though. Would like all consoles to be able to enter.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:39 am

i'm in.

but how long will we have? a few weeks can make it hard for those of us with full time jobs (or 2 jobs in my case...). plus, gathering materials can seriously cut down on our alloted time if only a few weeks... after all, the controller contest was a few weeks, and it was just a controller that didn't even have to work...

and i agree it should be open ended on the console choice. and project cases and frankiencasing should definitely be allowed.

but i also think it should be an entirely new project for everyone starting as soon as all contestants are together. not a project that is already half done or what-not.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 am

Good then, the consensus seems to be any console as long as it is portable (uses batteries of one sort or another).

I might well try two systems here - my SNES onto my current system, and the N64 into a Gameboy Color case idea - might open one of my GameCube's instead and see if the guts will fit in that Gameboy Color case instead (probably won't though, will be worth checking out).

Yes, Ben needs to judge this and also lay down his criteria.

This compo might be what this site needs! Timescale might be sensible at something 2-3 months.