Sony says third party accessories void warenty!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
Sony says third party accessories void warenty!

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony/us ... 229487.php

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/18/rumor ... -warranty/
i can kinda see where their coming from (stuff like the nyko cooler for 360 that catches fire etc) but stuff like VIDEO CABLES and controllers?! thats just rediculous
Last edited by Triton on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benol

Post by benol » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:32 pm

good. now mabye MadCatz won't make their crap accesories for anything.

on another note, there's 3rd party sixaxises? a third party wii controller would suck probably
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:35 pm

im talking more about cables, third party are usually just as good and cheaper and it would REALLY suck if you had a third party cable and your system died and you had to pay 150 to fix it just because you werent using an official first party cable

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:43 pm

benol wrote:good. now mabye MadCatz won't make their crap accesories for anything.

on another note, there's 3rd party sixaxises? a third party wii controller would suck probably
madcats is making a 3rd party wii controller its got a funky shape to it :?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:44 pm

How the Hell will they know you used a 3rd party cable, just dont say you used one. Sony just is so GDedMoney hungry.

Ari

Post by Ari » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Using a third party cable doesn't void your warranty! First of all, there is no Sony HDMI cable. You have to use a third party one. And second of all, Sony didn't even say that a third party cable voided the warranty.
In typical situations, video cables would not void the warranty, but each situation is unique.
Unless you mean that... but that's only talking about when the video cable actually causes the problem.

Why does everyone try to bash Sony all the time? A customer service rep from Nintendo or Microsoft would say the same thing... and it's not like Sony has bad customer service. In fact, from my experience, they have great customer service. My PSP stopped charging the battery a few months after I got it and they had me send it back with the battery, and I got a new one 2 weeks later. It's not like Sony hires evil customer service people...
Optomists say that the glass is half full.
Pessimist say that it's half empty.
Engineers say that it's twice as big as it needs to be.

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:19 pm

SCEA wrote:(2) THE PRODUCT IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY SCEA (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT DEVICES, CONTROLLERS, ADAPTORS AND POWER SUPPLY DEVICES). YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS AND LIABILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH USE OF THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS.
one guy called sony tech support and for some reason did say that he was using a 3rd party video cable and they wanted him to pay 150$ to get it repaired.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:13 pm

to remedy any flak they may recieve, sony needs to just bite the bullet and place the AV cables needed on the back of their products, think First PS's that came out with the three RCA ports

This needs to be an industry standard and all companies need to be FORCED to have set connections BUILT in (I'm lookin at you GC with you chip on the inside, and yes sadly the dreamcast VGA box, I hate trashin the dreamcast, even at such a small level)

And I know you think controllers are hard to affect a console, but it is still a large part of the hardware, and yes it could screw something up, how I don't know but this must be how sony is saying that negligance (kids being too rough and droping the PS2 a short distance and scamming the company) I think they have all the right to say only first party stuff will be operated on, so blah
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Okay, I'm sort of a Sony supporter (not fanboy, mind you), but even I think this is crossing the line. I mean, third party cables? What's the matter, Sony? Afraid the copper used to make the cables isn't 100% pure?

Besides, why can't you just lie about it? They're not going to send paratroopeers to your house if you use a third party device. Just tell them the factory cable screwed up. There isn't any way to tell another cable was used, right?

This is almost as bad as Microsoft forcing third-party hardware manufacturers to pay out the bum for "driver signing". It hurts you in an indirect way, because every time you buy a Logitech divice, Billy gets slightly richer. (That's why Linksys and Cisco hardware drivers make you click "install anyway"; they aren't signed by Microsoft's test lab.)

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:36 pm

How will Sony even know that you used a third-party accessory with your PS3? You could just say "oh yeah I was using ALL Sony equip."

sameguy

Post by sameguy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:44 pm

madcats is making a 3rd party wii controller its got a funky shape to it
do you have a picture of it? just wondering what it would look like
ahh. but opinions can change and facts can be faulty.

Felino

Post by Felino » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:53 am

But how can they prove that you used a 4rd party device on your wii?

Never!
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

myuusmeow

Post by myuusmeow » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:01 am

sameguy wrote:
madcats is making a 3rd party wii controller its got a funky shape to it
do you have a picture of it? just wondering what it would look like
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=59168
:lol:

What did the PS3 come with? The same stuff that came with the PS2? (Composite) If so, why wouldn't people wanna buy 3rd party video cords, better than mailing Sony for one.
Radica 6-in-1p:
Currently: received Radica, bored of Sonic and Golden Axe, now waiting for Christmas break.

Zzebotes13

Post by Zzebotes13 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:32 am

this is just a way for sony to monopolize completely on the PS3 add ons and such. They're just trying to scare ignorant people into believing that they can actually inforce something like this.
I will always put 8) at the end of my posts