The NEShuck

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

sdh
Re: The NEShuck

Post by sdh » Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Thank you, HercTNT.
I agree that there's absolutely some amazing poeple here, I'm still impressed by many peoples work.

The completion of my NEShuck is being pushed back :(
A friend of mine who I was going to buy a NES from can't find it so I'll have to find one elsewhere.
Btw, it's kind of funny that I'm doing this mod even though I don't even own a NES, yet. :P
I also need to buy a white cord the controller, but the store I was at the other day didn't have any
with the right thickness. So I'll continue to hunt that down as well.

In the meantime here's what I've done:

Not much at all left to do but I got problems with the space inside of the controller that I'll look into next.

HercTNT

Post by HercTNT » Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 pm

i was going to recommend network cable. they are 8 wire and would work. i just realized though, they are not usually white are they? more like a putty color i think. network cable is not smooth either, usually alittle rigid. If you cant find anything else, the network cable will atleast get you going. Its cheap and easy to find. great work on that case you blended everything in perfect. really someone needs to start mass producing one handed controllers like this for the nes. it reminds me of the nes mouse concept controller thats floating around on the web right now. Your idea is far more practical though and i believe would work a lot better.

Biased

Post by Biased » Thu May 21, 2009 7:21 pm

sdh wrote:Thank you, HercTNT.
I agree that there's absolutely some amazing poeple here, I'm still impressed by many peoples work.

A friend of mine who I was going to buy a NES from can't find it so I'll have to find one elsewhere.
Btw, it's kind of funny that I'm doing this mod even though I don't even own a NES, yet. :P
I also need to buy a white cord the controller, but the store I was at the other day didn't have any
Maybe you could just use regular heat shrink cable and paint it white after you shrink it...?

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu May 21, 2009 7:31 pm

I don't think phone cable has enough wires, but if it did it would work.

HercTNT

Post by HercTNT » Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 pm

network cable has 8 wires right? were not talking phone cable here. either way its still a bad idea, the more i think about it, i think network cable is really ugly stuff. i have some short usb cable for the pc that has 9 wires in it, and its perfectly white. maybe he can find some of that online somewhere. maybe a usb printer cable and snip off the ends.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 pm

HercTNT wrote:network cable has 8 wires right? were not talking phone cable here. either way its still a bad idea, the more i think about it, i think network cable is really ugly stuff. i have some short usb cable for the pc that has 9 wires in it, and its perfectly white. maybe he can find some of that online somewhere. maybe a usb printer cable and snip off the ends.
Well I'm talking phone cable, which IS different.

But USB cable, good idea, why didn't I think of it? sdh, you have to find some random apple product and STEAL ITS CABLE!

HercTNT

Post by HercTNT » Thu May 21, 2009 8:14 pm

LOL.........INDEED!!! that works!

sdh

Post by sdh » Fri May 22, 2009 2:16 am

Painting cables ain't no good idea in my opinion, the paint tend to come off.
Hmm, most Apple cables are too short. Also, they are often grey and not white.
So I think I'll need to look around for some random, white USB cable. Hope that it'll be soft enough though.

Liuhuparta

Post by Liuhuparta » Fri May 22, 2009 9:03 am

I have two long white cords from 3rd party GC controllers. They have six cords plus ground if I remember right. I could probably send you some for a namely prize.

sdh

Post by sdh » Fri May 22, 2009 9:17 am

Hey I didn't even think about that :o
I appreciate the offer but I just remembered where I can get those controllers here in Sweden,
so I think I'll just get one here. Thanks though :)

Liuhuparta

Post by Liuhuparta » Fri May 22, 2009 9:48 am

I checked and it only has five cords, because the manufacturer wanted to save couple of dollars. There's six contacts, but only five of them are used plus ground in the original controller (making it six), but atleast in this 3rd party controller there's five in total.

KevinLG

Post by KevinLG » Sat May 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Maybe a PSone white controller cable would work.
Life is like a box of chocolates. It sucks unless you spend a lot of money.

sdh

Post by sdh » Sat May 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Yeah five is fine, that's all I need.

I have a PSone controller but the cable ain't white, it's more of a medium grey.
I ordered a white gamecube controller yesterday and they'll ship it on monday.
If it doesn't have a completely white cable I'll go with a light/medium grey instead.

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 am

sdh wrote:Thank you, HercTNT.

In the meantime here's what I've done:

Not much at all left to do but I got problems with the space inside of the controller that I'll look into next.
thats very impressive, I love the finish!
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

sdh

Post by sdh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:22 am

I've been on a little trip over the weekend and getting my tan on :)
Even managed to burn my shoulders and get some fugly tank top lines, haha.
Anyhow, I've recieved the gamecube controller and the cord was white enough,
it also had exactly 5 wires so it'll work just fine. Will solder it later today.