question about sega dreamcast burning (new question)

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
question about sega dreamcast burning (new question)

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:03 pm

http://www.dchomebrew.org/hexen2.shtml
http://www.dchomebrew.org/wolf3ddc.shtml
http://www.dchomebrew.org/doombero.shtml
http://www.dchomebrew.org/dchexen.shtml

i have been trying to download and burn these games since 7:00 this morning. (its 2.00 here). i am starting to get very mad, because i cannot create a .cdi file. i have tried other strategies on burning these games, and wasted 6 CD-Rs. please, Help![/url]
Last edited by ganonbanned on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Try Nero to burn the CDI files.

If I remember correctly, there's this burning method option you have to select when you burn the games, & some games require a certain boot disc. (Which you also have to burn)

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:25 pm

atari2600a wrote:Try Nero to burn the CDI files.

If I remember correctly, there's this burning method option you have to select when you burn the games, & some games require a certain boot disc. (Which you also have to burn)
ok thanks. do you know where i could find info about this boot disk? what the name of the program is?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:34 pm

Remember, only SOME games require the boot disc. Mainly the older cracked games, like DOA2... (&, seeing these games are homebrews...)

EDIT: You could also have one of the newer model Dreamcasts w/ better anti-piracy...stuff...

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:59 pm

atari2600a wrote:Remember, only SOME games require the boot disc. Mainly the older cracked games, like DOA2... (&, seeing these games are homebrews...)

EDIT: You could also have one of the newer model Dreamcasts w/ better anti-piracy...stuff...
what would the model number have to be?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:34 pm

You're better off just downloading the Nero image and burning it. Nero is available as a free trial.

Homebrew/pirated games only work on Dreamcasts with a 1 on the bottom.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:38 pm

marshallh wrote:You're better off just downloading the Nero image and burning it. Nero is available as a free trial.

Or a 0 (zero).

Also look on sites like dcemulation, and sites in it's links (homebrew sites). They should have a tool called something like "cdi2nero", use that to convert the image to one that Nero can use by default.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:39 pm

marshallh wrote:You're better off just downloading the Nero image and burning it. Nero is available as a free trial.

where would the one (or 0) be?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:23 pm

there is a silver sticker on the bottom and the number should be a circled 0 1 or 2
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:19 am

http://www.dchomebrew.org/selfboot.shtml

get the plain files and use this to make a nero or disc juggler file and burn those.

I used nxdoom. I have doom, doom 2, and final doom all on one disc for the dreamcast. no boot disk neccesary. :)
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:58 pm

i burned it, and put it in the dreamcast, and it took me to a screen with a blank menu. i pressed start and it just brought a black screen. i found where it says one or zero, it says zero, and it was manufactured in august of 1999. i really hate to ask, but could someone email me the .cdi (for the hexen (full version) and any doom game?)? i could burn it then.

Thanks,
Ty

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:47 pm

you do own the games don't you. you have to get the files for the games off your harddrive as well.

try this.

http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/tutes.php
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:37 pm

alright i figured it out but it still doesnt work. this is what happens. i created the sbi, i then went and went to self boot inducer and created the .cdi image. i burned it, and it brought up the menu. when ever i press a on hexen, it takes me to the title screen again! (not of hexen, of the dreamcast) help please!

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Sparkfist wrote:

Or a 0 (zero).

Also look on sites like dcemulation, and sites in it's links (homebrew sites). They should have a tool called something like "cdi2nero", use that to convert the image to one that Nero can use by default.
In more recent news, it has been revealed to be only a myth. DC homebrew works on any/all dreamcast models.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Horse-The-Band

Post by Horse-The-Band » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Use DiscJuggler and find the DiscJuggler Image that you want to burn, It worked everytime i tried (about 20 give of take.)
Genesis V2 + Two weeks + Soldering Tools + Very little skill + Ben Heck Forum = My dream portable for a week in Vegas.

As long as I don't break my Genny : )