SNESp:Video flickering to the beat of sound from the game

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Nino
SNESp:Video flickering to the beat of sound from the game

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:38 am

Hello everyone,
I just finished wiring up the Snesp from the book and, at first, everything seemed to work. But I then noticed that the image on the screen jumping and flickering coinciding with the music or sound of the game.

If I un-solder the sound wires coming from the SNES to the Psone screen MB, it stops and looks perfect.

I did have some difficulty wiring up the 3 wires (video, r&l sound) to the screen's board (Man, what a huge pain that was :?) because of both the closeness of the solder locations on the board and because there didn't seem to be enough metal on the back of the board to solder to.

Anyway, I have no idea how to even begin to troubleshoot this. I'm pretty good with my multi-meter but I'm not sure what to look for. The path is "open" but should I also look for resistance or verify that a certain amount is getting to that location?

I've started by only soldering on the R-sound and the video wire.

So what do you guys think? Has anyone seen this on their project? Do you think this is a matter of the sound taking some of the juice from the video to drive the speakers? A grounding problem? Or do you think it's more of a case of cross interference? How do I go about troubleshooting this one?

Any help, clues or advice would be a huge help,
Nino

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:46 am

how high do you have the volume on the psone screen?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Nino

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:03 pm

About mid point. I tried turning it up and down to see if it effected the screen flicker but I believe it remained the same.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:39 pm

did you try charging your batteries? usually this starts to happpen when the batteries get weaker
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Nino

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm using a fresh pack of Alkaline's for now. I wanted to test everything before I introduced rechargables.

Have you used the Psone screen for any of your portables? If so, did you have trouble with the super small, not enough metal having, connections? Besides "Opens" what do you test for? If Ground is not setup correctly, it either works or is dosent, right?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 pm

This is a problem that's covered in the SNES sticky (look for the link), but apparently the fix to the problem is somewhat complicated and I don't totally understand it myself. I have the same problem, and I don't know if LED modding the screen reduces the problem or not. I think it was extremesonic who figured out the total fix to this problem, but it's not particularly simple.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!