7805 Regulator Help

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

nhquads07
7805 Regulator Help

Post by nhquads07 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:08 pm

So I hooked up my 7805 regulator to run the SNES of batteries, but unfortunately when I had it wired up and threw the switch, the regulator kind of exploded on one side. So, I need help wondering a) did it explode just because I connected the wrong leads of my batteries to the wrong side and b) do you think my SNES has shorted out as a result. I didn't have the power on on the SNES, I just flipped the switch to the battery, there was a pop and then half of the regulator was gone. Any advice?

themadhacker

Re: 7805 Regulator Help

Post by themadhacker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:13 pm

how high was the voltage of the battery? I've never had this happen, but adding more volts than the regulator can handle might blow it up.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

nhquads07

Post by nhquads07 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 pm

It's a nine volt battery, which I didn't think was too high but maybe I was wrong. It also could have been a poor sottering job on my part, because only half of it blew off which I thought was weird. What I really want to know is if anyone thinks that this would have shorted out my SNES as I have no way to test it at the moment.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 am

Care to post any specific information about how you had it wired? If you're not sure if you connected your battery's leads to the right spots then I recommend taking another look at whatever diagram you were following.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

nhquads07

Post by nhquads07 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:19 pm

Well, I followed the diagram Ben used in his book to make SNES portables, and I followed it correctly. In retrospect, I was just turning it on as a test and the heat sink fell off as I turned on the battery. Would that cause the regulator to literally explode as soon as I turned it on? And also I still was wondering if anyone thinks this shorted out my SNES completely.

gamerjr

Post by gamerjr » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:59 am

No, it would cause it to overheat overtime if there was none but a heatsink is just so air can come through easily. It had to be an electrical problem (im still kinda noobish at all of this but im fairly sure im right) also get just test it with the wall outlet to see if it works. solder the wires directly onto it and attach a 7805 on where it used to be. (please some1 confirm what im saying is right) dont do this until somone responds confirming this I dont want to be responsible if i fry it on accident.

nhquads07

Post by nhquads07 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Well, I ordered some new 7805s off of Radio Shack, they came in and my mini SNES still works! I'm very happy about that but I'm having a really hard time getting it to run off of batteries using Ben's book. Maybe I'm just an idiot but I don't know why it won't work out for me.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:43 am

9v should be fine for running a 7805; although of course we normally only need 7.2v or 7.4v through one. As Life of Brian said ages ago, the pin on the chip marked "7805" that sayd "5" is the 5v output; the middle one is ground; the other one (closest to the "7") is the input.

If you are using a normal 9v battery, you won't have enough amps to run anything though, that might be the issue. They only have something like 850mA or so; far too low for anything useful, or working.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:49 am

nhquads07 wrote:I'm very happy about that but I'm having a really hard time getting it to run off of batteries using Ben's book.
There is a mislabeled picture in the generic SNES mini information section of Ben's book. It shows where to put 5v in and also where to connect to for ground. The spot labeled for ground is incorrect. There are two spots where the original power jack was located - use a multimeter and make sure you are connecting to the right spot for ground.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!