Finished N64 portable

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator
Finished N64 portable

Post by evilteddy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:39 am

For those who don't check in at the N64 section I've been working on a fliptop style N64 and it is finally finished apart from a few niggling problems like a missing C up button. Here are some pics of the finished portable-

The bottom half with external controller ports. You can get to the innards easily via the hinge. I'll replace the hinge with something smaller sometime but it works and doesn't get in the way. You can see my Dimension engineering voltage regulators if you look. Two DESW033s and a DESW0XX.
The top half. The front plate is removable. I put the holes in so you can get at the screen controls with a pen but at the moment I just pop out the front plate get everything right and put it back in. The speakers are a couple of 0.3W 8 ohm speakers I used as replacements at the instigation of Bacteria. They sound great :D now I just have to play Super Smash Bros with yoshi on the bus really loud. For those who know what his jumping sounds like I'm sure you can appreciate the joke.
The left side showing the power switch, external DC power hookup (anything from 24V to 7.4V + tip - sleeve) the fan grille (that took ages to drill) and the power LED which changes colour when the internal battery needs to be changed. This is important because it is a LiPo battery without any protection. I would recommend these RC helicopter LiPo batteries to anyone though. There is also a 40mm fan behind that grille. It is no too noisy but if I find a low noise fan I'll replace it.
This is the back showing the relocated cart slot and the trigger buttons. L is really Z by the way. The cart slot looks uglier in this photo than it actually is.
The AV out ports with a switch just hiding to the right of it for switching to internal or external screen. Again it really isn't that wonky in real life it was the angle I was taking the photo, honest.

Anyway thats it if you want to check out the making of which isn't very detailed then go here to my topic here.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:46 am

Looks really nice, but why do you people always leave out the D pad?

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:57 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:Looks really nice, but why do you people always leave out the D pad?
Because no game I've ever played has used it. I left space for it just in case I want it one day though.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:07 am

Well why did you leave L button out? You use that in Zelda to turn the map on and off. :(

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:32 am

Nice job. Well done.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:35 am

do you plan on painting it?

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:48 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:Looks really nice, but why do you people always leave out the D pad?
I don't!

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:43 am

Looks really nice, I like the mini laptop style. One question though, why did you use such heavy gauge wire? You definitely could have gotten away with thinner wire for a lot of those connections, I'm sure.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 am

bacteria wrote:
I don't!
Me niether. I only left it out of #2(I dont remember) and #3. I use it for 2 or 3 games, so Full compatibility is good.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Indeed Black Six - you only need that wiring for the power lines, you can use general purpose wires for the rest of the system.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Wouldnt large wire be ideal for av?

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 am

You're right the wire is a bit too big but I had a couple of reels of it and it all fitted in fine so it really isn't a problem. Something to keep in mind for a smaller sequel though.