Theres still Easter eggs after all these years?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

weaponepsilon
Theres still Easter eggs after all these years?

Post by weaponepsilon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:39 pm

OK, I'm sure a lot of you (ok SOME of you) are hard core gamers that like to pickup some nostalgia by playing through the forgotten eras of video games. After a while of playing through some 360 games, I unpacked the SNES and tried out a copy of TMNT:Turtles in Time for the first time in as 15 years. My daughter who has never known the simple joys of the 16 bit era wanted to play too and I've been educating her. SOMEHOW, she uncovered an as of now previously unknown easter egg. Mind you shes 5.

During the gameplay while I was a few levels in, she grab the P2 controller and hammered on it to get her character in the game. As soon as her guy popped up and both players skipped to the boss fight. I looked it up and so far I havent seen a level cheat like this.

Can there be after all these years, cheats and easter eggs no one knew about in these old games?
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: Theres still Easter eggs after all these years?

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Defintiely, especially since many games are not explored in 2+player mode, or had content tied to certain hardware combinations.

The only way to know for shure is to decompile them- something that I have been avoiding since there was a time when the ability to learn a game's deepest secrets and make it dance was an addictive high for me.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:51 pm

But even in the age where people decompile ROMs for fun, there are still new discoveries made for games that people have already been disassembled.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 am

Yeah, especially since I don't keep notes and rarely publish anything.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I remember when I found one out all by myself. I felt like a god. I found out that if you body slammed the small cub in the level lobby of Crash Bandicoot 2 you got extra lives.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 pm

There's a site, The Cutting Room Floor which has a bit of a different approach. They do list hidden features, but these features are oftentimes found by analyzing the ROM image, rather than by playing the game. For some of their documented secrets, it's not known whether the level, or whatever it might be, can be accessed in-game. Many times what they list are just left-over test data that the developers were too lazy to remove from the final game.

Go ahead, have a random article.
Last edited by nitro2k01 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 pm

That stuff is awesome.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 pm

I remember when I found out the special power bomb beams in Super Metroid..that was so much awesome. Never really found any real use for them, but they were still there :lol:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Ken-DBP
360 GamerTag:SummittxDBP

Post by Ken-DBP » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm

My favorite easter egg has to be the Arkham city hidden room in Batman Arkham asylum, thought the talking Chocobo from Final fantasy 7 pc version is funny.
“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:53 pm

i miss the good ole days of gaming when games had hilarious and fun glitches, easter eggs, cheatcodes, gameshark codes, features left out of the game but parts of it left in (hidden keys and stuff in banjo kazooie for example) and stuff like that. you just dont see it as much anymore :(

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I liked the EE in the first Max Payne where you had to climb up the side of a building and jump on a satellite dish(?) I think and you got into a hidden area where there was a large pic of the Dopefish (from Commander Keen) on the wall and a bunch of ammo laying around.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

DK

Post by DK » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Did you find the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference Kibble?

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 pm

I honestly don't remember. I do remember always trying to find every nook and cranny possible, but the only thing that I really remember was that room.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Triton wrote:i miss the good ole days of gaming when games had hilarious and fun glitches, easter eggs, cheatcodes, gameshark codes, features left out of the game but parts of it left in (hidden keys and stuff in banjo kazooie for example) and stuff like that. you just dont see it as much anymore :(
cough "hot coffee" cough "no Russian" cough "Tapha Niang" cough "prostitution guild" cough

Sorry, I didn't hear that cough so this hasn't happened since the good ole days? Or did you mean with real content such as the scene in WingCommander SecretMissions1 Disc2 in which the camp of the entire series is recast in tragic horror through the blood shot eyes of a father...
Spoiler:
.. elated at the prospect of seeing his daughter again after [...] and even though [...] [...] with the probability of almost certain death in the next few minutes pailing in contrast.

[nightmare fuel redacted; try not to even consider that this particular aspect was based the on a real world tragedity repeated through out WW2; by the military the kat's are based on]

Also, put every single other piece of that character's dialog in to the context of that one scene and tell me you don't have nightmares, and cry for that beautiful bastard.
If you don't then you have not actually understood...

"Kid" is right, I'll take that.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

i'm talking more specifically of n64 era games. there's a big difference between inactive code that got left in the game but is totally inaccessible without a mod (hot coffee), and stuff like the ice key in banjo kazooie where you can clearly see it but cant get to it without L to levitate code.

also notice i said you dont see that sort of thing AS MUCH, reading comprehension ftw