SS's WIP GCP!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64
SS's WIP GCP!

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:02 pm

ITS OVER 3000!

I figured my 3000th post should be the unveiling my current project!

And so, hereis an album. Of what I've got so far.

Yes, that is a wii case. Yes, the entire DD assembly is currently external. Yes, those are controller flanks on the sides. And yes, that is an SD card slot.

Why Wii? I had it, and I liked it, I miss it, now I avenge it.
Why External DD? Simple. I can remove it. This lets me replace it with other things, such as, oh, I dont know. Take a guess.
Controller flanks are bad, right? Wrong. They are only bad if your portable is heavy and unstable. Properly attached, they are a blessing.
SD card slot?!? Madness! Liar! Faker! SD Load. Look it up. Good for homebrew, GCoS, and other things: works well with the qoob.

I have some sanding and painting to do. I did not like sacrificing the wavebird, but i is worth it, as the extra casing provides more stability, and I get the feel of the original controls. Yeah, It'll be white. Ever notice the REALLY good portables around here are white?

I have found a wonderful way of sheilding the disc drive and disk, even when its a full-size DVD-R. You'll just have to wait untill I get the chance to implement it.

I will be using a LED modded Psone screen with the anti glare removed and the brightness resistor bridged(makes a PERFECT picture).

Thoughts? Comments? Anything? :P

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:11 pm

oops
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Shows lots of promise. Do you plan on getting the disk drive into the case somehow? Even if you don't, this will be really innovative and ultra sweet!
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 pm

I'm confused on the idea of an external disk drive. Are you wanting to wear it on your belt, stick it in your lap? What experience has led you to the idea of an external disk drive?

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:52 pm

Ever notice the REALLY good portables around here are white?
Yes I think the same thing!
Looks good so far

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Ben Cebhrem wrote:I'm confused on the idea of an external disk drive. Are you wanting to wear it on your belt, stick it in your lap? What experience has led you to the idea of an external disk drive?
Look at the photo album. He means the disk drive is mounted on the outside of the wii shell (on the back) while the mobo, etc. is on the inside.

PS,
That's what I thought at first, too.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:09 am

Well, slap me silly for not looking at the album before making my previous post. :D

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:18 am

The only bad part about those controller flanks is that they make your portable look stupid.

Best looking one that has controller flanks I guess..

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:44 am

I can understand why SS has gone for using two halves of an existing controller; however, if the system was made more of an oval by making the Wii case streamlined, so the left and right sides were curved to the angles of the controllers, that would look potentially nice, maybe with an oval coloured pattern to break up the shape??

Crude pic, but you get the idea.

Want to know more about playing a GC game on an SD card rather than a disc!

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:23 pm

isn't that a wireless GC controller? Why are you using one of these? Isn't that just bad for the battery life?

Anyway, very nice. It's a classic SS.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:12 pm

He won't be using it as wireless :roll: He is using it because it feels nice and chunky. I have a couple of these controllers, they are nice to hold, and also bigger than the standard GC controllers.

I imagine SS will be connecting the traces from the two controller halves to traces from a complete controller board as remote button contacts.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:15 pm

fair enough. You can probably just remove the whole wireless portion of it and use it as a normal controller

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:03 pm

Nice idea bacteria! That sounds pretty good, I'll consider it.

bacteria, look through this forum section and find the 37 page long topic, and that should explain everything to you.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the controller is already wired up.

Thanks for the nice comments. The entirely external DD is like that because of ER's innovation: The DD replacement. What this will let me do is switch between the DD and the CF card adapter, at will. (compatibility for all games) If I'm not mistaken, running a custom bios will let me boot the GC without the "No DD error," allowing me to take full potential of the built in SD card slot. And of course I'll be adding a support system and cover for the Disk drive and CF card adapter, both of which are going to turn out really cool.

Oh, and my screen came in today!
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Are you using a psone screen?

I can't seem to get our scanner working will it be ok if I take pictures of the gamecube controller mobo?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:04 pm

bacteria wrote:I can understand why SS has gone for using two halves of an existing controller; however, if the system was made more of an oval by making the Wii case streamlined, so the left and right sides were curved to the angles of the controllers, that would look potentially nice, maybe with an oval coloured pattern to break up the shape??

Crude pic, but you get the idea.

Want to know more about playing a GC game on an SD card rather than a disc!
You and you freaking ovals!