A look at the professionals

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

stereth
A look at the professionals

Post by stereth » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:33 pm

http://www.ministrymobile.com/

Looks like you can make a living doing this stuff.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:12 am

That portable doesn't sound too bad either. :)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:44 am

Its specs look great save for one, its running windows XP embeded. I thought I would be able to run Willie Beamish on that thing. Well for old games it will have to do, but with only 133mH CPU it cant run much if anything developed in the last 3 years... depressing.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:58 am

Yeah, I really don't like xp. I'd think they'd go for that pocket linux distro. It's only 50mb at least. I think that might be the one I'll use for my portable computer, either that, the MAME linux, or windows 98.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:08 pm

gannon wrote:Yeah, I really don't like xp. I'd think they'd go for that pocket linux distro. It's only 50mb at least. I think that might be the one I'll use for my portable computer, either that, the MAME linux, or windows 98.
Are you talking about DSL (Damn Small Linux)?

Anyways I can understand using windows its used on ~94% of all desktops, but XP is too advanced and lacks support for many of the games people would want to run on that tiny thing. Personally a better worked/debugged version of 98 would be just fine in my view.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

stereth

Post by stereth » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:33 pm

Sparkfist wrote:with only 133mH CPU it cant run much if anything developed in the last 3 years...
Look again. It's 533MHz with a 133MHz FSB.

And what's wrong with XPe? I don't know if you'd want a full PC-type OS on something like that anyway.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:04 am

XP doesnt work well with older software namely titles that ran on DOS. XP has a command line of it own and so trying to run DOS programs is tough or in some cases immpossible. Thats my only quaral with xp, well that and my computer reboots when I try to watch dvds but that my problem.

Other then the OS, are they just showing it off or are they selling these things? As there isnt that much on the site beyond hardware specs and ideas. Sounds like a great product but its lacking in balivablity for me a lil.

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:31 am

Also, I started off with me once, and it crashed quite a bit, but then I switched to xp and it crashed even more. And each time it crashed I lost an important file, a couple of times I even lost a required system file, and without dos, I had to reinstall xp.
In my opinion 98 was the last good windows, although 2000 s.e. isn't bad for working with.