Analog Stick Repair

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

extremesonic
Analog Stick Repair

Post by extremesonic » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:24 pm

My N64 controllers(like many) analog sticks are acting up and I want to know if there is anyway to fix it?
One controller won't fully go forward, and another won't fully go right(you have to like jam the thing really hard to get mario to run in mario 64). I opened 1 up, and it didnt seem to be anything wrong with it(from what i could tell). I cleaned up a bit in there, and put it back together, but it still would have trouble going forward fully.
Any suggestions??
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:27 pm

Replace the analoge stick all together. Ebay has them, just unplug the useless one and plug in the new one. Granted this only works if you have the offical Nintendo controllers, if you have the 3rd party you need to find new pots for the analoge stick.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

*o*

Post by *o* » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:09 am

there not pots in the oficial ones unfortunately

clean them out and replace the plastic washer (make it yourself) and oil it a bit. also clean the sensors with air
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

MiGs

Post by MiGs » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Sorry to revive this thread, but.. I think I have a sollution. I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and taken apart a couple of analog sticks, and figured out that all of theym are loose because the plastic from the stick grinds away with a lot of use (sometimes more on 1 side then others, so it flops to the left or right etc.), so what I've been thinking.... replace the stick with something stronger then plastic.

I was thinking of making a mold of a perfect analog stick (got 1 out of 7 controllers now that has little wiggle in it) out of plaster of paris or some kind of mold making substance, and use either a metal like zinc, or a harder plastic to fill the mold (just needs to be the little ball at the bottom, dosen't need to be the whole stick) I'm thinkin some kind of epoxy, not sure of the hardness of it tho.

Any ideas?

The only drawbacks I can see in using a metal to do it is that it would shrink when it cools, and wouldn't fit right. I would like to see if I can get a mold of a full analog stick and just make a ton of extra sticks since thats the only part that gets messed up, should be pretty cheap too, but a metal analog stick and holder and alil oil, would last forever.... kinda :D
Current Status: Single and Portableless.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:10 pm

The question is do you know how to replace the electronic parts of the controller?

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:40 pm

usbcd36 wrote:The question is do you know how to replace the electronic parts of the controller?
What for? The electronics are in fine shape. It's just the sticks X&Y levers that are busted.

I'm liking the metal stick idea. Except it might be too heavy to use metal ans still move easily and it might not spring back in place. Maybe you could use something light weight, like aluminum (except it has a high melting temp). I dunno...

MiGs

Post by MiGs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:11 am

On the metal idea, a full metal stick would be heavy, but I think the spring could handle it, not as well as the plastic stick, but it wouldn't be as responsive I think. I made a pic of what I said before, of not having to make a full metal stick, but just the part that gets messed up after use.

The red area is where the plastic gets worn down, so I was thinking, make a mold of the bottom half of the stick, fill it with a metal (and ya, aluminum would be real hard, but not impossible, and lead is just hazardous, I heard zinc was pretty good tho).... cut off the bottom of the plastic stick and jam the metal replacement into the original stick, and glue it in somehow. It should be pretty sturdy, and not as heavy as a full metal stick (the replaced part would be less then half an inch long, can't be that heavy... well, I don't think it should).

Also, talking about controller mods, lol, I'm currently cleaning up some controller shells (2 blue, 1 clear purple) to do a paint job on em. The blue ones are gonna have a perfect dark themed paint job (gloss black + logo on top), built in rumble paks, and maybe some LEDs. The clear purple, I'm gonna wet sand that down to a nice finish and polish it, and make it as shiny as possible, so it'll be as clear as it can get, would look nice I think. 8)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 am

Well, my only advice is to try and avoid using oil-based products to lubricate plastics. (some plastics get soft and kind of gummy when they come into contact with petroleum products)

To be safe, use a dry powder graphite or sillicone lubricant on plastic.

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:53 pm

BTW, if you have a stick that is still good, you should do THIS before it gets worn down.

MiGs

Post by MiGs » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:33 am

Hey thanks for pointing that site out g-force, the cool thing is for that grease, you don't even need to open your controller all up like that (maybe just to get the dust out), just get a q-tip and lay alil bit of it on the bottom of the stick, you can see it.
(some plastics get soft and kind of gummy when they come into contact with petroleum products)
Yep, also:
vaseline + rubber = OWNED! :wink:

Tried to fix a small leak on a car door seal I had.... didn't work.