is it just me or do you think sony is going to sue microsoft

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

shelter pitfall

Post by shelter pitfall » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:16 pm

the 360 sees the PSP as just another memory stick or digital camera.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:54 pm

bioniclebert wrote:Sony stole the Dualshock stuff, and they got sued. If they just link together by like, say USB, there is no way anything can happen.
Where did they steal it from? The original design was stolen from the SNES (plus 2 shoulder buttons), but I thought the PS was the first game system to use analog sticks.

I have been Nintendo all the way too, except for when I didn't have any game system. I'm just not amused/entertained by GTA or Halo, which are supposed to be the best of the other two systems. I prefer Metroid Prime and platformers, I also can't STAND dual analog control in a first person game!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:51 pm

Hey, don't pick on the XBox 360!

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:07 pm

shelter pitfall wrote:the 360 sees the PSP as just another memory stick or digital camera.
if u need the psp to play the games then what the hells the difference
sony still sells a psp

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:42 am

well, if it sees it as a standard thumb drive or external hard drive, the following things could be done.

1. check for X360 hardware, which was pretty much completely unknown at the time of the PSP launch. If it could tell, it would then turn itself off or something like that.

2. not be seen as a standard USB drive, taking away much of the convenience of using a PSP.

(if the preceeding post made no sense, I need sleep.)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Conn

Post by Conn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:47 pm

usbcd36 wrote:
bioniclebert wrote:Sony stole the Dualshock stuff, and they got sued. If they just link together by like, say USB, there is no way anything can happen.
Where did they steal it from? The original design was stolen from the SNES (plus 2 shoulder buttons), but I thought the PS was the first game system to use analog sticks.
The design is very Super Nintendo-esque, but N64 used the analog stick first. Playstation came out before it, and stole the analog stick and rumble pack around when Starfox 64 came out.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:17 pm

The Playstation was originally supposed to be a CD drive for the SNES, to compete with the Sega CD. However, legal disputes between the two companies caused the project to turn into its own console. That's whay the controllers are so similar; they were originally suposed to be one unit.

I believe Nintendo really hasn't been all that innovative with their consoles. The SNES was designed/released after the main 16-bit rival, the Sega Genesis. The N64 was released to compete with the Playstation. The Gamecube, if I recall correctly, came out after the PS2.

Their handhelds are not really the most innovative of their time, either. Sure the Gameboy came out in 1989, and everyone had to have it. However I believe the Atari Lynx and the Game Gear were technologically superior systems. They had backlighting, stereo sound, and full color. However they consumed batteries at an astounding rate. Nintendo boasted about how it could run for such a long time off of batteries as opposed to the Lynx and GG, so they ultimately came out on top. (Actually I think the Lynx and Jaguar flopped because of Atari's iamges' strong bond to the 2600 made people think that the VCS was all Atari was. Why elese do you think people refer to it as "the Atari"?)

It sort of bothers me when people think Nintendo is setting industry standards, while they seem to be playing catch-up in most cases. It's not tht they're a bad company, it's just that their largestanding in the public eye crushes most who oppose it, much like Microsoft, Disney, AOL, and other market supergiants.

Just my 2 cents. :)

rawls

Post by rawls » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:23 pm

I don't know about MS (who would want to sue them with their army of lawyers and such?) but Sony did just sue Lik-Sang.

pezman

Post by pezman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:00 pm

earlier i read about the lik sang think and just thought "great sony is getting richer" but this could really impact the entire import videogame market. if sony wins who knows what would be next, banning mod chips and what not. when it reaches what not things are gettin bad.

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:53 pm

Sony stole Dual Shock? :?
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:32 pm

the vibrating tech

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:56 pm

benheckc wrote:Anything anti-360 is fine by me. For some reason I have a V for Vendetta against that console.
you bring a tear to my eye every time you post crap like that... I too have a beef with a nex gen console with out hearing any of the facts. (the incredibly hard to playstation3)

edity:
even if they did sue they would not go far remeber bleam? its leagal. unless sony creates an x-box 360 emulator that can run the psp. unless they do that and panent it they cant sue.