I now have a PS2 two... whatever it's called

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin
I now have a PS2 two... whatever it's called

Post by benheck » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:07 pm

Yes, they had some at Gamestop. It'll actually run off a big Sony Infolithium battery for a couple minutes, but it looks like it WILL need 8.5 or so volts for the long haul. The wall adapter says it gives 5.8 amps or something outrageous like that, it appears to run at more like 2.

It's actually heavier than you'd expect, but it IS small. The motherboard itself is 5.475" x 8.063" The DVD drive assembly is smaller than the PSone assembly even.

Another bonus is no stupid "sub-board" for the controller ports - they connect right to the main board.

There's only 1 big chip that gets heatsinked, they musta combined the GPU with the CPU. I also noticed the 2 memory chips are not heatsinked now.

There's a couple random chips that are cheaply heat sinked to the metal RF shield. Wow.

Everything inside kinda looks cheap... I don't know how else to describe it. It has a built-in LAN port I'll try and have in my portable :)

The DVD drive will probably have to have the cable extended and rewiring - if I build this it's gonna be A LOT like the hand-made PSP I did for the book.

Wal Mart has this DVD Li-Ion battery pack thing for $50. It comes with a charger, spits out 9 volts and has 5400mAH of juice. I may use this...

Even though I still have things to get done for my book I'm starting on this... wish me luck. If anyone has any questions about the guts of the things fire away.

-Ben

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:14 pm

Hope you can do it! (What am I saying, of course you can!) Good luck! :D

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:33 pm

wow, I didn't even know that they were supposed to be out untill the end of the month! Dissapointing that it doesn't run on anything lower than 8V, but then again, it's a lot better than 12V. Also, how big is the spacing between leads for the dvd drive? I know the spacing on the standard ps2 isn't very big making it pretty hard to solder.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:43 pm

If you can post some pics, as I'm sure you'll give us better ones then the others we've seen.

P.S. I'd also like to point out the PS2 was designed to have its GPU and CPU compined into one chip its not really a new thing, just wanted to point that out.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:11 pm

i knew that the people of this forum would jump on this thing as soon as it came out. cant wait to see this thing "portable-ized"

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:23 pm

The DVD drive spacing leads is the same although there appears to be fewer leads. However, the cable is a bit longer with a 90 degree turn in it, so it can be moved a bit more without re-wiring.

Example: It looks like I'll be able to center the disc in the unit (like the hand-built PS1p) and not have to rewire the DVD read cable, just the drive motors which is WAY easier.

I'll try and upload some actual-size pics of the board today...

-Ben

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:34 pm

Ok, if you goto the Games Downloads page you'll find actual-size photos of the motherboard (front and rear) and the DVD drive, which is quite small.

Enjoy!

(PS: My goal is to have this thing done before November)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:36 pm

Wow editing a book and working on a system you've never messed with before all in half a month! You sure are going to be busy, and thanks for the pics.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:51 pm

The fact that you can move the dvd drive to the center without much rewiring is great! I can pursue my old ps2p v2 design with this new version then :D

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:59 pm

hi ben i hope the ps2p works out im sure you can do it. I think if you put the lan port in it you should get a wireless router so you could play it anywhere in the house without being tethered to a wall.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:52 pm

It's out already? How much is it?

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:43 pm

There was a release of a small amount. The full release is in early november. It costs $150.

Quall

Post by Quall » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:57 pm

oh poo, i regret buying the psone a couple months ago now. At least the screen was included in the $80 deal. I can use that. Now all I need is 150 smackers