Wow, the PSOne LED mod SUCKS.

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

*o*

Post by *o* » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:02 am

Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:43 am

Installed 4 5000mcd LEDs and it's STILL way too dark =/ Guess it's just gonna be cathode.

-Segasonicfan

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:00 am

Try filing around the top of the LEDs. That is supposed to help spread the light more evenly.

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:25 am

that really surprises me.....is your screen pal or ntsc...ben does this on all his monitors and they look fine....look at that pic of gamelvers gcp he has the led mod and the screen looks bright and clear

rawls

Post by rawls » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 am

High MCD leds can be decieving because, though they may be bright, most of that brightness is often focused into a narrow beam. Often times lower mcd leds with higher beam angles can actually be brighter overall. A higher beam angle is good for the LED mod as well because it starts spreading the beam across the whole screen area (as opposed to having the diffusing material spread what is already a beam).

Maniac_Man
Location:It depends on where you are and if you farted or not

Post by Maniac_Man » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:19 pm

my mod looks great, i used four leds, the screens lighting is spread evenly. but still, it isnt as good as the cathode tube.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:54 pm

i only used two and its fine but i did do the brightness mod
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:59 pm

2?!?!

i would expect that to look like excrement

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:01 pm

yeah, on my GCp it doesn't look too bad :) (especially in the dark :))....but it's not perfect....which is why we need to figure out a new psone screen LED mod...hmmm.....
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:24 pm

*o* wrote:2?!?!

i would expect that to look like excrement
i actually think its fine i dont even know wat all the fuss is about cause to me it doesnt look much different than a normal t-v
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:18 pm

Nos: i filed them down really well and used an x-acto knive to cut them after (so it breaks off and is still clear), that didn't really do any good. It's not that the LED mod doesn't work, you can see everything and play the game. It just severly takes away from the gaming experience in my opinion beacuase it's uneven lighting and nowhere near as good as cathode lighting. I am completely through trying out this mod.

-Segasonicfan

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:42 pm

I havent read any of the thread, and dont know if this was mentioned. But why not use several dimmer LEDs, and use opaque plexi glass or something to distribute the light more evenly. It might work with regular LEDs, but might be too bright. I saw this at a website somewhere, dunno where, dont know if it was even for a screen, but the guy used plexiglass or something to distribute the light a bit more evenly.

superdeformed

Post by superdeformed » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 pm

soundwave wrote:I havent read any of the thread, and dont know if this was mentioned. But why not use several dimmer LEDs, and use opaque plexi glass or something to distribute the light more evenly. It might work with regular LEDs, but might be too bright. I saw this at a website somewhere, dunno where, dont know if it was even for a screen, but the guy used plexiglass or something to distribute the light a bit more evenly.
The PSone LCD casing has diffusing plastic in it for this purpose.

eastsider_1

Post by eastsider_1 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:19 pm

suppose you could use the flash-light bulb that look like LEDs. I m talking about the MAGLITE flashlight bulbs. You can buy them for cheap and they are Very bright. power consumption cant be that bad. Someone tryit out and let me know. maybe this could be the ultimate solution to the LED mod problems. Dunno. :?

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:35 pm

first of all, resize your avatar!!!....second of all, those flashlight bulbs will probably burn out over time and they're too big, probably....a better way to diffuse the light would be our best bet of making a better backlight mod :)
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!