How do I get my final unit on Portables of Doom?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

MM007
How do I get my final unit on Portables of Doom?

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:33 pm

Do I contact Abbibbi somehow, or what? I want to get my SFA on there if possible...if it is good enough...
Warranty-Voiding fun!

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:57 pm

contact either me or Spongebuell with the info you want along with it and some pictures.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:37 pm

gannon wrote:contact either me or Spongebuell with the info you want along with it and some pictures.
Okay...I currently have 4 pictures...and bold text is what I want to say...

This is my Super Famicom A (SFA), a SNES portable with Super Famicom support, an automatic external player one override, a removable screen, and dual 7.2Volt 3Ah Hi-MH batteries. The battery pack is in a "T" shape so it doesn't block my hands on the controller, and it still has all the original ports and capabilities, meaning it still works as a console. I even kept the RF. ^^ It is a bit heavier than most portables, as it still has sheilding, but it is light enough for me to live with. It is the original prototype for what will evolve into what I call modular portable design.

I also have the PS1A concept design
(copy and paste in browser):

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/mm007/ps1a.jpg

This portable stands to give a decent boost, or even a large shove, to portiblization(...tell me if this sounds too...well, snobbish) by being the first fully modular portable design. It allows the unit to be made into a portable without permanently connecting or even changing the system and screen. The module(s) are all interchangable on other stock models, and the one modified module(battery pack/ controller) is as legal to make as third-party controllers are, meaning they should be perfectly legal to sell. It is also a way of making portables out of systems too expensive or pre-compacted(NGC) to make a normal portable out of, or if you are too scared/inexperienced to mess with your system's guts. Plus, with interchangable parts, it is cheaper to do for the layman. ^^

How is that?
Warranty-Voiding fun!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:55 pm

I'll put it up today or tomorrow, unless gannon wants to do it...

lemme know if you do, gannon
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:05 pm

I just wanted to make a little comment about legality because it seems to keep coming up as a reason to modularize.

I don't think any aspect of people's work here is even close to illegal. From what I understand, it's your property and you are free to do whatever you want to it. Of course you void your warranty, but that only applies to modern consoles.

I think the only thing that is illegal is to reverse engineer the patented technology. Selling a modifed system shouldn't be illegal as long as the seller doesn't claim what they are selling to be an official product and it doesn't allow things like playing copies of games.

I'm not completely against modularization. If I can keep my console intact without destroying it and still have it be as comfortable, light, and enjoyable as a complete redesign, then that's great. I just think it's so cool to make a handheld that looks and performs like something developed by the console company itself.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:11 pm

scherzo wrote:I just wanted to make a little comment about legality because it seems to keep coming up as a reason to modularize.

I don't think any aspect of people's work here is even close to illegal. From what I understand, it's your property and you are free to do whatever you want to it. Of course you void your warranty, but that only applies to modern consoles.

I think the only thing that is illegal is to reverse engineer the patented technology. Selling a modifed system shouldn't be illegal as long as the seller doesn't claim what they are selling to be an official product and it doesn't allow things like playing copies of games.

I'm not completely against modularization. If I can keep my console intact without destroying it and still have it be as comfortable, light, and enjoyable as a complete redesign, then that's great. I just think it's so cool to make a handheld that looks and performs like something developed by the console company itself.
I think 2 things about that statement:

1. you probably meant to put it in another thread :wink:

2. While it's ok to make it for yourself, the companies will probably nail you if you use their logos and mass produce things. Infogrames has kinda been cracking down quite a bit on people using the atari logo and the like, though.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:12 pm

I meant legal to mass-produce and sell...
scherzo wrote:I just wanted to make a little comment about legality because it seems to keep coming up as a reason to modularize.

Warranty-Voiding fun!

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:45 pm

Sorry, I guess that was to much of a tangent and should have been in another thread.

MajorLag

Post by MajorLag » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:28 am

I really dig that screen. Where can I find one?

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:00 am

If you could put it up that'd be great spongebuell. I've been sick lately :(

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:44 am

MajorLag wrote:I really dig that screen. Where can I find one?
looks like a third-party PSOne screen. For some reason I think it's an interact, since it kinda looks like one that's been at my gamestore for a while.

Gannon: I'll put it up, then. Hope you get well soon.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:16 am

I thought that was a 4" pelican screen. Well maybe I'm wrong, also I remember seeing that SNESp before I'm a little suprised to see that your just now asking to be part of the LPC and have it posted complele on doomportables.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:58 pm

Its an interact screen. You can see the "I" logo in the first picture. I found one here. => http://www.epinions.com/game-Hardware-A ... For_PS_One

MajorLag

Post by MajorLag » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:32 pm

HK-47 wrote:Its an interact screen. You can see the "I" logo in the first picture. I found one here. => http://www.epinions.com/game-Hardware-A ... For_PS_One
Sweet. Thanks.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:02 pm

I like to test my systems for a little while before posting them...the SNES has worked well for about 6 months now, and I can safely say it is the finalized design. I had to be careful, as it was my first portable.
Warranty-Voiding fun!