Wow, the PSOne LED mod SUCKS.

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

segasonicfan
Wow, the PSOne LED mod SUCKS.

Post by segasonicfan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 pm

So I finally caved in and took apart my PSOne screen to do Ben's all familiar LED mod. I had wanted to do it for some time (for the huge drop in power consumption) and finally decided to go ahead and try it since my tranformer was interferring with the video. I have to say, this mod is truly awful. The brightness on RGB is so low you can barely play and the cap-removal mod for increased brightness ONLY works for Composite input. And it destroys the contrast. I would only recommend this mod for people who have no desire for the beatiful quality of the unmodded PSOne screen and only wish to play their games-even if they look like crap.
Oh and I did execute the mod perfectly, (3mm high output LEDs, proper resistors and all), it really is just a lame alternative to cathode lighting.

-Segasonicfan

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:31 pm

it's also a very power saving alternative :P.....which is why many do this mod :)....you're right, though, it isn't THAT great....perhaps someone should create a NEW backlight mod for the psone screen....perhaps I'll work on it a bit ;)...
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:41 pm

What was the MCD rating for your LEDs?

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:59 pm

Yeah dude in the first place unskilled people such as myself break the screen, in the second place it is not bright.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 pm

i saw pics of other portables with the LED mod and saw it was dark and unevenly lit and dark and dark so i never even considered doing it

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:00 pm

Well my LEDs were rated 3.6v and 20mah so I used 33ohms for 2 parallel and ran them off 5v. Even if I used 3 LEDs, it wouldn't make enough of a difference. It saves a lot of power, but when a screen only draws 7.5 watts there's not a whole lot of point in dropping it down to 3 watts.

-Segasonicfan

superdeformed
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by superdeformed » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 pm

segasonicfan wrote:Well my LEDs were rated 3.6v and 20mah so I used 33ohms for 2 parallel and ran them off 5v. Even if I used 3 LEDs, it wouldn't make enough of a difference. It saves a lot of power, but when a screen only draws 7.5 watts there's not a whole lot of point in dropping it down to 3 watts.
Almost all white LEDs are rated for 3.6v and 20ma of current, that does not indicate how bright they are. And in terms of saving power, the drop from almost 900ma to less than 300ma makes a huge difference when you're running it off of a battery.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:51 am

I bought these LEDs from Jameco:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... lue=217525
those are the brightest T1 White LEDs they sell. and the power drop is nice, I just don't think it's anywhere worth the quality drop (especially when the brightness mod doesn't work for RGB). and for my portables, 600mah isnt much since I'm using 6 amp batteries. It all depends on what the individuals needs are tho.

-Segasonicfan

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:54 am

Hrmmmm, I found that Jameco sells white LEDs with up to 5000mcd! I might buy them and give em a shot even though they won't fint in the screen (larger than 3mm). It's possible that I will have enough brightness with 3 of these...I'll let you guys know the result!

-Segasonicfan

G-Prime

Post by G-Prime » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:43 am

After I read this topic I thought...if everyone is saying that a perfectly executed LED mod looks bad then what dose my crappy half-assed held together by tape and glue LED mod look like. Lets just say im buyng a new screen and NEVER doing the LED mod again...Ill just buy a bigger battery
<(' '<) (>' ')> <(' ')> Go KIRBY!!!

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:48 am

I think that's a good choice G-Force. I think people here underestimate the usefullness of a Li-ion battery pack. For $30 you can get 6 AA sized 2 amp cells and create a damn nice battery (7.4v at 6amps+).

-Segasonicfan

G-Prime

Post by G-Prime » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:56 am

Ummm...Im not G-Force.
<(' '<) (>' ')> <(' ')> Go KIRBY!!!

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

I know, it's easy to confuse me and G-prime. I'll see one of his post and think "I don't remember writing that :? ". Maybe one of us should get a name change, or just look for the MacGyver avatar :)

Man reading this makes me glad I didn't do the mod to my screen. But I guess people get mixed results, some like the mod, some don't, and some just say it's okay. Although just about everyone claims it has uneven lighting.

rawls

Post by rawls » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:56 am

Well, I agree the LED mod isn't the brightest thing in the world, but I am more than happy with the way mine looks. Part of the reason is I used Nichia NSPWF50BS LEDs which are extremely bright white leds. Not only that, but though they are 5mm, they are rectangular so I was able to fit them in my screen no problem. Also helping is the fact that I used 4, as opposed to 2 or 3. Oh, and since I am using RGB, the brightness mod wasn't used.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:10 am

I use 3 T1 5000mcd diffused ultra bright white LEDs with a 20ohm resistor in my mods, looks great.