Any Nes Game on a Cart?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Nes Man
Any Nes Game on a Cart?

Post by Nes Man » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:37 pm

I was just wondering, would it it be possible to make a blank nes rom cart that you could download any nes rom on to and play the rom on a real nes??? Rare prototype games like california raisins?? Or could I buy one??
Dude, it's Duck Hunt.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:03 pm

The only way I can think of it being passible would to have the rom chip be removable. Thats way when your done witht he game you open the cart, pull the chip out, reprogram it and put it all back together. The bigger problem is I dont think you can use roms from emulators, if you can get the original programming then you will get around that little problem your ready to made it.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:15 pm

Sparkfist wrote:The only way I can think of it being passible would to have the rom chip be removable. Thats way when your done witht he game you open the cart, pull the chip out, reprogram it and put it all back together. The bigger problem is I dont think you can use roms from emulators, if you can get the original programming then you will get around that little problem your ready to made it.
Unfortunatly even that would be rather pointless. Different NES carts have different chips in them, so you would only be able to run roms from any ONE chip configuration (known as a "mapper"). There are roms that have been hacked to work with a different mapper (usually mapper 0) for this purpose, but I don't think there are that many of them. Here is a list of mappers and some technical details: http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/mappers-0.80.txt . As you can see, there are quite a lot of them.

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:58 am

The only implementation I've seen of something like this is called CopyNES:
http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/copynes/

Nes Man

Post by Nes Man » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:57 pm

Well I was thinking about putting some RAM chips on an exsitsting Game Board. Do you think that would work? :roll:
Dude, it's Duck Hunt.

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:25 pm

As long as you did it correctly and had a way to flash those chips with data, it would work for any game for that same "mapper". Different companies implemented different ways of addressing ROM data beyond the boundries of 32K for PRG and 8K for CHR. Check out this little article:

http://www.bripro.com/low/mappers/index.php

MM007

Post by MM007 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:56 pm

It has been done by the guys down at NESDev. They use 27c128, 27c256, 27c512, 27c010, and, in some cases like EarthBOund Zero, 27c020 EPROMs to burn NES ROMS to cartridge. They just match them up to mapper and change the scrolling type (H/V) if needed.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:26 am

I had a thought about this very topic today, actually. What you'd want to do is make a mapper emulator in hardware using some FPGA. Somehow the ROM would tell the mapper emulator which mapper to use, and you'd be set. Provided the emulation circuitry was accurate, the NES wouldn't know the difference. I'm thinking that a really cool way to do this would be the following:
Make an FPGA mapper emulator that supports as many mappers as possible, and also includes code in 6502 for a menu which takes in filenames and creates a menu from them. That same FPGA could also include an interface to some flash memory (or even a CF card or some such) and could therefore read files and map them to the NES on the fly. In theory, the NES wouldn't know the difference. It's basically an emulator in hardware that doesn't need to emulate the NES itself.
The problem is making such an emulator FPGA... :?

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Yeah just buy a pirate 10000000000000000000000000000 in 1 cart

nes_newbie

Post by nes_newbie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:54 pm

Better yet Go here : www.mybayside.com order the 256mb EZFAdvance flash card , go to www.pocketnes.org download pocket nes and put as many Nes games on your card that it will hold. I have an EZFAdvance and about 162 NES roms on it and they play great. oh and it looks real good on a Gameboy Player for the Gamecube :D

peppers

Post by peppers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:58 pm

that is just emulation not the same thing

btw the xbox and psone both have perfectley good NES emulators and the gamequbes one is ok so you dont need the flash card

nes_newbie

Post by nes_newbie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:01 pm

true but man does it save time and space. you can also Save any game anywhere on the fly with pocketnes. ahhhhh good stuff.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:02 pm

As stated before if you want to make a multi-cart for NES games you have to make a cart that has a ROM that is either removable or earacable. And have a cart made for every mapper the NES supports.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

peppers

Post by peppers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:35 pm

so how do you get roms into carts anyway I know it can be done if the mapper matches up you can somehow wright to them?

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:46 pm

peppers wrote:so how do you get roms into carts anyway I know it can be done if the mapper matches up you can somehow wright to them?
You get ROMs into carts by splitting a ROM into PRG ROM and CHR ROM files while they are in the computer. Then you attach an EPROM burner to your computer and burn the appropriate EPROMs for the games. Then, using the instructions on NESDev, replace the existing ROM chips in the NES with your new ones(the mapper of the ROM and the Mapper of the original cartridge have to match. The mirroring can be changed between horizontal and vertical with a blob of solder, however.)
Last edited by MM007 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warranty-Voiding fun!