Mame instrucitions?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

xxxeagle
Mame instrucitions?

Post by xxxeagle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:36 pm

Ok I want to build mame. I dont know too much about them. Can i turn my computer (amd duron with windows me) into a mame? Do i have to mod my computer at all? and do you guys know any good websites to build a case for it? I need websites with info on building the mame itself ane the mame cabintet. Thanks guys.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:46 pm

Step 1. uninstall Windows ME (trust me, it sucks) and put in Windows 98, maybe 2000, but that may be slower.
Step 2. install MAME
Step 3. put a shortcut to the MAME program in the "startup" folder. It should be in c:\windows\start menu\programs\startup, I think. I'm using Windows 2000, which is a bit different.
Step 4: build case with buttons, joysticks, and the like. More info on that can be found at Arcade Controls
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

shelter pitfall

Post by shelter pitfall » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:25 pm

just to make it easy, get mame 32 or check out the rest at http://www.zophar.net/mame.html

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:47 pm

ok sponge buel do you know if i can do it without uninstalling windows me becuase i dont really want to uninstall it. i just called the local arcade and they said they dont have any cabinets for sale im going to call another shop but i doubt theyll have any. MAme is free right. I am going to build a cabinet which shouldn't be so hard i can do it in like a day. But is mame going to run smoothly with windows me or not. And is it hard to get the games running smoothly.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:33 pm

you could use Windows Me, but it's the worst Windows made, and crashes often. You could use it, but I wouldn't recommend it. MAME is free at http://www.mame.net. As for smoothness with the games, just try it out to be sure. If it's slow, try adding RAM and maybe consider upgrading the processor.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

shelter pitfall

Post by shelter pitfall » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:05 pm

There is also Knoppixmame, the bootable live CD of linux+Xmame.
It has an older version of Mame though.
That way he won't have to uninstall the most horrid OS on earth (why don't you get an old Win 98 in a bargin bin?).
Depending on the games, you might need more horse-power. Soul Calibur probably needs a super fast computer. Pac-man will run on most.
Ram is very good.
When you get your cabinet, just plop your computer right in there.
I don't know much else.

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:23 am

Im apart of the arcade forum www.arcadecontrols.com they have a lot of tips and how-to on how to make a mame cabinet PLUS they also have a selling forum which usually has free cabs that could be neer u :)