Rise from your grave.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953
Re: Rise from your grave.

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 pm

ProgMetalMan wrote:...what the hell?
There was some criticism of the way he was running a portable competition, and so he demoted a mod and banned a half dozen members (notably Ashens and Loveablechevy), and about a week later abruptly shut down everything.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Well, that would explain why I saw someone very high-profile (hailraizer?) banned/demoted.
It seems kind of funny. That site lived through the second ModRetro pissing contest and went through 3 rebrandings before Bac killed it himself.
In other news, a few ModRetro veterans are starting to pop up and SSF continues to host virtual tumbleweeds. Most activity was Minecraft discussion and his MC server has been either shut down, closed to the public, or facing authentication errors for like a year and a half.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:15 pm

Oh man, it feels good to be back lol. Hopefully the forums will be up for a while. Shame for the community built around him that bacteria decided to self destruct his forums. guess that means the Joker won lol

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Hah, it took me a minute to remember my login info, but I wanted to stop in and say "hey." These forums were a large part of my life at one time, and although I've moved on to other things, as most of us have, I'm still tinkering around with videogame consoles. Honestly, being slightly more financially successful than I was before has allowed me to tinker a bit more. 8)

Edit: WHOA. Dat signature pic... Throwback. :shock:

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:58 pm

ProgMetalMan wrote:Well, that would explain why I saw someone very high-profile (hailraizer?) banned/demoted.
It seems kind of funny. That site lived through the second ModRetro pissing contest and went through 3 rebrandings before Bac killed it himself.
In other news, a few ModRetro veterans are starting to pop up and SSF continues to host dank memes. Most activity was Minecraft discussion and his MC server has been either shut down, closed to the public, or facing authentication errors for like a year and a half.
Fixed, I think? I don't understand DOTA

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:02 pm

That works. It's not DOTA, it's this:
"Dank memes" is a meta-meme commonly used on 4chan and Reddit. It's kind of like when they call someone out for being edgy.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:07 am

I hate to admit it, but Bac's site was the most active portablizing site in the last year. But now he's gone crazy and deleted that site and exposed himself for a lunatic, so that's gone too. :P

It's fun to see old members logging on again, though! What have you all been up to? I've learned a ton about microcontrollers and electronics in general in the past couple of years. I want to make another portable, now. Smallest N64 portable in the world, maybe!

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 am

Mario wrote: It's fun to see old members logging on again, though! What have you all been up to? I've learned a ton about microcontrollers and electronics in general in the past couple of years. I want to make another portable, now. Smallest N64 portable in the world, maybe!
You always did make some ridiculously small handhelds.

I'm in school for EE, so that's taking up most of my time outside of work.. One of my classes this semester is microprocessors; we're just getting into Assembly.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Mario wrote:I hate to admit it, but Bac's site was the most active portablizing site in the last year. But now he's gone crazy and deleted that site and exposed himself for a lunatic, so that's gone too. :P

It's fun to see old members logging on again, though! What have you all been up to? I've learned a ton about microcontrollers and electronics in general in the past couple of years. I want to make another portable, now. Smallest N64 portable in the world, maybe!
Mario wrote:I hate to admit it, but Bac's site was the most active portablizing site in the last year. But now he's gone crazy and deleted that site and exposed himself for a lunatic, so that's gone too. :P

I still haven't built a portable yet... probably because I work from home so I never leave the house. :lol: But in my opinion, N64s have always been the most worthwhile console to portablize. I know we always tried to shun emulation, but lets be realistic: Anything older than the N64 can be emulated by a commercially available portable device with enough accuracy that it's not practical to use real hardware anyway. :?

PS1, Gamecube and Xbox portables make about as much sense as OWNING a PS1, Gamecube or Xbox... which is none, because why wouldn't you just own a PS2, Wii or 360 instead? Backwards compatibility, is the point I'm getting at here. And the Dreamcast... well, I actually know very little about the Dreamcast, but I think it's safe to say that it leaves a lot to be desired in the way of... you know... good exclusive games. :|

That leaves current and last gen consoles (PS3, 360, Wii, PS4, XBox One, Wii U), all of which are power hungry, physically too large to make a decent-sized portable, and/or impractical for portability due to its controllers (Wii, Wii U), and the PS2. PS2s are decent for portabilization I suppose, though a bit heavy on the power consumption as well. I'd say it's the second most worthwhile console to portablize.

But yeah, so my point is, portable N64 = good idea, IMO. :) That said, if Marshall ever decides to go all out on a portable N64, nobody will ever be able to top it, as it'll likely feature a custom, single-PCB design with a from-scratch miniaturized N64, 64drive and custom digital RGB video circuitry. :? I'm pretty sure he could feasibly cram everything into a PSP-sized shell.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Indeed. Glad to see you're alive.

Me, I've been looking into all sorts of mods. And now I have a bunch of broken crap that I'm trying to fix. I'm recapping and resoldering a Colecovision PSU and seeing if I can't do Bibin's RGB TV hack on my late great grandmother's Trinitron.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Personally i've worked a series of temporary jobs. spent half a year working on wind turbines, a few months working in factories and stuff like that. been more into cars and scooters as a hobby lately than portables. i've probably bought and sold 2 or 3 cars since the last post i made on the forums outside of this thread lol. but i try to do a few projects a year, mostly for MGC. fixing to kick my stuff into gear and get another temp job here in the next few weeks so i can afford to head to california for a few months (or longer) this summer.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Triton wrote:fixing to kick my stuff into gear and get another temp job here in the next few weeks so i can afford to head to california for a few months (or longer) this summer.
*ahem* And you're going to make a stop in Ohio too... you forgot to mention that. :P

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:08 pm

I'll see what i can do lol

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:39 am

Electric Rain wrote:But yeah, so my point is, portable N64 = good idea, IMO. :) That said, if Marshall ever decides to go all out on a portable N64, nobody will ever be able to top it, as it'll likely feature a custom, single-PCB design with a from-scratch miniaturized N64, 64drive and custom digital RGB video circuitry. :? I'm pretty sure he could feasibly cram everything into a PSP-sized shell.
I'd buy that, especially if it supported LOB64.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:53 pm

eagle5953 wrote:
Electric Rain wrote:But yeah, so my point is, portable N64 = good idea, IMO. :) That said, if Marshall ever decides to go all out on a portable N64, nobody will ever be able to top it, as it'll likely feature a custom, single-PCB design with a from-scratch miniaturized N64, 64drive and custom digital RGB video circuitry. :? I'm pretty sure he could feasibly cram everything into a PSP-sized shell.
I'd buy that, especially if it supported LOB64.
Well, one of the biggest space-savers in my theoretical scenario would be cutting out the majority of the analog circuitry, which includes the video circuitry, so a LOB64 interface would be impossible due to the lack of composite video output. :? I suppose a dongle of some sort could be built to add it back in though.