HandyPNP - code name: green mushroom

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: code name: green mushroom

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 pm

the only radica i currently have is sonic gold. and i'm not entirely sure it's usable. i had desoldered the chip to try to wire up a cart slot to it. i do still have the rom chip, and may see if i can get her going again.

i do want the street fighter ii radica.

if sonic gold does work, i have most the games from the blue radica and the red radica then. there's only maybe 1 or 2 i don't have. so i don't know if it's justifiable.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:59 pm

this was the last label i made yesterday:

i have decided to not do the gamp3 player i mentioned earlier. turns out the 10 games on it i already have covered by other ones. no need for it.

ok, got the majority of the cartridge front labels placed on their carts. first i had to remove those stupid tabs that hold famicom carts together

stupid tabs... i'll be putting in spacers and screws so i can easily get back in if need be.

anyway, i have 14 of them labeled. i messed 2 of the labels in the tape process (putting clear packing tape over them for protection and that nice shiny look of a cartridge label lol). i then didn't even think about having no guide lines for cutting the white back ground labels, and cut them horrifically not straight, so i'll be redoing those, too. i also have yet to finish the super joy iii label and the jacks pacific pinball label. i am also pleased to announce i will be adding the capcom plug and play to my collection. haven't even started that label.

tl:dr

oh, and no, there is not anything in the carts yet. i just put the labels on them.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 pm

i got some of the cart labels redone like i wanted.

i started to get one wired up, and then decided i didn't want to. it's my birthday. i don't want to solder in my birthday! lol!

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Happy birthday!

The project is looking great! I can't wait to see what's next!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 pm

well i started to wire up a cart tonight. this is a huge learning process and is taking longer then it really should. lol. i'm figuring out along the way how it should all be done. been working on the pac man plug & play. it's gonna fit so nicely in the cartridge. i was hoping to get it fully wired tonight, but i'm really tired. and my rear hurts from that stupid metal chair. lol

no pics tonight. but hopefully tomorrow i'll have pics of at least 1 fully functional game cart! :D

ok, i lied. i decided to work more on the pac man cart. was determined to get it "finished" or at least able to be tested.

i was so relieved to see the pac man logo pop up on the screen.

the screen is a little jittery, possibly a not super secure connection or interference. will check the video wiring again later.

controls aren't working at all. i think i missed wiring a ground wire. will check that later.

but, pac man works still. and it does indeed work on 7.4v even tho it only needs 6v.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 pm

but, pac man works still. and it does indeed work on 7.4v even tho it only needs 6v.
Most plug and play systems are very tolerant of different voltages. I hooked up the Flashback 2, which states 9v next to the power jack, and it ran just fine on 12v, 9v, 6v, and 4.5v. Cannot recall if I tried 3v, but I think I did. Anyway, it ran on anything I gave it.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:40 am

did it still have the 7805 on the board? if so, of course it can take so high of a voltage ;)

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:36 am

ok, got the controls working and the audio amp hooked up.

means i can get the portable itself all finished and get fully concentrating on the cartridges in not too horribly long.

here is a video of sound and partial control test

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

well, i have the base system done. i just don't have any of the carts finished yet. lol!

this isn't an actual pnp cart, just a famicom cart to show height
this isn't an actual pnp cart, just a famicom cart to show height
the mushrooms!!!

now i can really hunker down and get these carts rollin. :)

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 pm

i finally have an update to give...

wiring up each plug and play is taking a lot longer then i though it would. lol

i knew it'd be essentially wiring up a new system every single cart, but i didn't take into account how much work would go into prepping the famicom board to wire to. and then figuring out how to get it all to fit in the cart properly so it closes correctly. lol

anyway, i got 2 more wired up and working.

the game prince gave me no issues. it was a nice simple, but time consuming, job.

the atari paddle, on the other hand, i am surprised still works. i had the pot wired up incorrectly. and a component nearly caught on fire. like, it turned bright orange and smoked a lot. i'm lucky it still works after being wired properly. and then the reset button wasn't wanting to register along with the menu button being very finicky. turns out the specific famicom board i used has even thinner ends to the cart slot then some others. and the reset one was rather damaged and the menu pin was partially damaged. after some jerry rigging, i got them working each time, every time.

i now officially know that all the buttons do indeed work. the pot works wonderfully.

i had picked out 6 different plug and plays to wire up today. and i got 2 done. and i put in 8+ hours of work. *facepalm*

so i'm up to 3 working carts. i do still need to finish these two carts with screw posts and drilling the holes for the screws. the pac man cart is nearly complete. i just need to print the instruction label for the back.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 pm

ok, i need some help.

so i wired up this baby tonight:

everything about it is working great except one thing... the audio. i did not remove anything from the board (the controller part had no chips or components on it at all). i didn't even relocate anything on the board. the sound works fine when the original a/v cables are wired on and hooked up to the tv. and here is the really weird part: the audio also works perfectly fine if it's all running through the HandyPNP and using its a/v out.

i'm a bit confused. the audio obviously works... and it obviously is going through to the HandyPNP fine. so why is it not working? and yes, the speaker and audio amp are still working as the other carts still have sound fine through the speaker.

is the audio amp i am using not enough for it...? i have room in the cart there to build a separate audio amp just for this cart... would that help/work?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:01 pm

ok, so i tried the speaker with the game gear audio amp... still doesn't work right. the only way i get decent audio is through the game gear's headphone jack. so i'm putting that one to the side till i can find and get my hands on one of those speakers you plug in directly to a headphone jack. maybe THAT will work...

anyway, i decided i needed to move on to the next one! so i grabbed my radica arcade legends space invaders one!

the hardest part about this one was simply figuring out where and how to place it in the cart without sacrificing the 2 posts i really needed for stabilizing[ the famicom board. lol!

i am now hooking up power, audio, and video first, testing the unit, and then wiring up the rest. help save some time in trouble shooting.

i also now officially have 3 game carts that are actually closed. those pesky screw posts aren't cooperating that great. lol! but, pac man, atari paddle, and game prince are all closed and ready for their instruction label on the back. i'm waiting to print any of the instruction labels till i have a sheet worth to print. :)

they essentially look like this:
but of course with labels for what is what.

i'm really trying to get one wired up a night now. i really need to have this done before my fiancee is back in the states.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm

tonight has been a very good night indeed for this project.

this past weekend, i wanted to wire up my mortal kombat cart. i got it all wired up, and couldn't get it to work. poking around on the board, i realized that it didn't use the normal battery ground as the ground for the video/audio. instead of getting frustrated and upset, i simply set it down.

after doing the space invaders yesterday, and noticing that it took the vcc from the batteries and instantly fed it through the dc jack and then some components, that got me thinking.

so, i pulled out mortal kombat when i got home from work, looked at it a little more, found where i believed was a good spot to plop the vcc and ground, turned it on and... nothing... i then thought maybe wiring it up to 5v instead, after all, maybe those few components reduced the voltage... and eureka!

i was so excited to get this one working! i shouted for joy not only in real life, but also online to tibia and my fiancee. lol. they both had heard how upset i was that it wasn't working.

so since the wiring was already done with that one, i was able to finish it up rather fast and move on to the next one

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 pm

worked on the label side of things tonight a bit. had to make the capcom label and then worked on some of the instruction labels.

i now officially have 4 100% completed HandyPNP game carts

top left to right: pac man, game prince
bottom left to right: atari paddle, mortal kombat

space invaders and coleco have their screw posts mounted in. but they generally end up breaking out at least 2 times in the process before they are secured enough. kinda an annoying process. they will be the next 2 fully completed carts.

i was gonna wire up the capcom tonight, but it's weird. so i set it down to come back to as i didn't feel like thinking that much tonight.

lovablechevy

Re: HandyPNP - code name: green mushroom

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:01 pm

well... today once again didn't go how i planned. it's not all bad, but i don't feel very productive.

i started out wiring up a sega game gear/sms portable with 20 built in games

this one took about 4 hours to wire up. mostly because i had cut it a few weeks ago and then set it down. took a while to rework exactly how to wire it up. and it took me forever to figure out how to get the audio wired up properly so that it was working.

but, in the process of figuring that out, it occurred to me how i may be able to get audio from the konami arcade advanced. and i fixed that. and now have audio as normal. turns out that i had to wire a ground specifically to the 2nd audio line i have on the cart slot.

i then moved on to the vs maxx that i have. this one ended up taking forever. i was stupid and rushed to cutting the board down too fast. i forgot to figure out which lines were what. i also had missed wiring up a ground wire to the video line at first and couldn't figure out whey it wasn't booting. in searching for this, i discovered that many of my 5v carts were not booting consistantly. so i opened them up to trouble shoot. turns out their pins weren't making proper contact for the 5v line. two of the boards had extremely short contacts, so i extended them. and i got them all booting.

so i went back to the vs maxx. and then got it working.

i wasn't able to get the capcom working still. poked around with it for a while. i'm fearing i've killed it. and am not entirely sure how to really check to see if i have. and i don't get how i would have. it's such a puzzler...

you may notice the reset button is taking a beating. the entire HandyPNP is taking a beating. it's really dirty from all the testing i'm having to do and the paint is chipping off the reset button. the reset button is due to me having to rip it out quite a while ago to insulate a short. i then couldn't get it back in properly. :cry: i'll clean the unit really well before i officially release it as done, which should be next week. i've given myself a deadline of next friday night. what isn't done, i'll finish later and release an update video. but, my fiancee coming into town and getting married is def gonna take priority. :)