PSM - Playstation Micro

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: PSM - Playstation Micro

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 pm

well, i got a nice coat of clear coat on the controller pieces. no picture, since it doesn't look any different. lol. but those pieces are officially done and ready for gut work!

anyway, i did a LOT of work on the shoulder button areas tonight. i think the end result is pretty good.

controller port:

power led:

1st coat of primer on the now good old shoulder button areas

but suddenly, my black paint is doing something weird... and i don't get it... or know how to get it to stop... i went to do another coat on the umd drive door and the bottom portion of the PSM... and this is what happened
it's like turning grey... i'm doing nothing different. it's the exact same can of paint i've used for all the rest of the black in this project (like the perfectly awesome looking controller)
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:19 pm

When was the last time you cleaned the nozzle out? (turning it upside down and spraying it until the air coming out is clear)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:25 pm

it's a brand new can of spray paint. i have only painted the controller with it. it's not dirty. i just bought it last friday.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Huh..well I dunno what to say then...Only other thing I can think of is that the can of paint had been sitting on that shelf/the back room for a long time before you bought it. I've had that happen with 'new' paint before too...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 pm

i think it may have been slightly too humid. i wasn't even thinkin about that when i painted. just wanted to get it painted. heh

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 pm

ok, the paint is working fine again. :)

got the final coats on the umd door and bottom part of the PSM

got the sticker and decal printed off

still got some work to do on the top half of the PSM... it doesn't really look too much different then it did before. so i won't bore you. lol!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 pm

got some work done today :)

got the controller stripped

got the controller side HDMI wired (not to the controller yet, just wired itself)
it's the smallest soldering i've done :) and it came out wonderfully!

i got the first coat of black on the top piece of the PSM

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:22 pm

ok, got some more work done today. all of the painting is done. only the top part of the PSM is needing a coat of clear.

i got the umd door done

i got the controller "wired up" but have yet to do testing (gotta wire up the PSM side of the controller port first). i kinda screwed up the 360 dpad on the board, so had to improvise.

and the PSM controller (mostly done)

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Looking good!

Will there be any plans to integrate the purple into the console portion itself? That color mix looks pretty sleek!

Is the analog stick on the 360 actually compatible with the PSPs?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 pm

just a purple power led on the console.

yeah. they are compatible. they are the same as the ps2 analogs. i've swapped em around before. and there are lots of projects out there i found where ppl swapped psp with 360 analog or vice versa (depending on what the project was).

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:11 pm

i forgot to show you guys the final front of the controller. i still have yet to test it all. didn't work on it yesterday and i dunno if i'll work on it tonight. i have a lot of visa paperwork to take care of if i want to actually get married in april...

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 am

Oh snap! The Queen of Bondo has found herself a king? Good for you!

As for the controller, looking good! Though, I think the playstation logo in the center looks a little too small.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 am

thanks! i've actually found myself a queen, tho. ;)

---

so, i have hit a snag. before i do all the wiring on the console side, i thought it'd be a good idea to make sure that the umd drive is still working properly.

it's not.

i mean, it is. there is nothing wrong with the umd drive. i have popped it into my other psp, and it boots up just fine.

but when it's in the psm, it doesn't read disks. it spins fine. the laser moves left/right and up/down like it should...

there are only 2 things i can think that may be the issue.

1) the paint is just thick enough on that part that it can't focus right. i plan to scrape it all out tonight on the inside. it's not needed anyway. that is the easy option.

2) it's the connector for one of the 2 ribbon cables for the umd drive. it connects tight, but one side is broken. it doesn't look like it's preventing it from making a very secure connection so i don't see why it'd be this. it's not the flip up/flip down style connector. it slides out by pulling on the tabs on both sides. and one tab has broken away from the bar.

but that is the only other thing that is different from my psp.

so that's where i am right now. i hope i can get it figured out soon... if it's the ribbon connector, then i don't know what to do from there. i am not good at all with removing/replacing those. i fear i'd just mess things up more.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 pm

ok! i got the umd working. turns out it was due to the ribbon cable connector. it was not allowing 1 of the very edge connections make contact. after i accidentally bridged 2 of the pins together, then almost made a total mess trying to get them unbridged... then almost ruined it entirely by a pin coming loose...

anyway, it's working. i don't know how i managed to save it. lol!

i ended up ripping apart my 2 other psps to try to figure out what was wrong. my work station looks kinda funny with all those psp parts everywhere!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:29 pm

well, things didn't go exactly as planned today. turns out i really need a lot of new tiny tips. soldering to the PSP board is a lot harder than i anticipated. heh...

anyway, i got the controller port installed in the PSM. its not wired up yet, but its good and secure.