raspberry pi questions

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

The_Next_Guy
raspberry pi questions

Post by The_Next_Guy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Ok so i am getting a raspberry pi as soon as it ships to me. My question is is it possible to use java insead of the c programmer on it. If not do you know any c learning guides? Thanks in advance!
The_Next_Guy Was Here!!!

ProgMetalMan

Re: raspberry pi questions

Post by ProgMetalMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 pm

The preferred language is Python.
Java is available on it, but it is a major resource hog.
I got C++ for dummies. Still reading it...
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

The_Next_Guy

Post by The_Next_Guy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 pm

What ide do you sugest for learning c++? i have VS2010 but i dont know
The_Next_Guy Was Here!!!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 am

Python, perl, bash (shell programming) or maybe use c# via mono. These are good languages easy to learn and you can build them faster than c or c++. Interpreted languages will work before for prototyping.

And to explain about c or c++, I ask Spongebuell a bit back for some advise on a language to learn. He being in the industry told me c++ is really only for desktop apps and isn't as versital as c#. But take this advise as it is. As I only have some experience with vb 2005 in the windows world, unfortunately.

Good luck with your pi. I'd like to get one soon.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

The_Next_Guy

Post by The_Next_Guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Ok thanks tis will be easier than Pi. I actully Learned c# first so this will be easy for me. Do you know any Libraries for C# or Mono to make accsessing the Pi's I/O Pins easier? Thanks in Advance.
The_Next_Guy Was Here!!!

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

I disagree about C++ only being for desktop apps, because if you can write C++, you can write C without too much trouble, and that is still incredibly widespread in embedded platforms among other things. C++ is pretty difficult to learn, but pretty much everything that you learn in C++ can be transferred to other languages so it's far easier to go from C++ to another language than from another language to C++. If you are serious about programming, I highly suggest learning it. If it's just a casual pastime, you might rather stick to languages like C# that come with such extensive high-level support libraries built right in, and take care of things like garbage collection for you. It really depends on what you want out of programming.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The_Next_Guy

Post by The_Next_Guy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:54 am

I know it has been a while and I got my pi. I can't find a python library for easy access to the I/O Pins. I Tried Google and Bing but no luck. Help is Appreciated.
The_Next_Guy Was Here!!!