Wiring (S)NES internal controller with auto override and...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

MM007
Wiring (S)NES internal controller with auto override and...

Post by MM007 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:44 pm

Some of you know about my tweaks to the SNES controller system in my Super Famicom A, and the results. Some of you don't though, so I'll say something. It was not a one-time thing. Here it is, MONTHS later, and the setup still works. As the NES has the exact same controller wires and configuration, sans X, Y, R, and L(There are even tweaks out there on how to convert SNES controllers for NES use).

My setup allows me to use the hardwired internal controller, but it also lets me plug an external controller into the Player 1 slot and let it automatically take over from the internal controller....at any time.

Yes, that means that my Player 1 controller port is hotswap. ^-^ I've done it. When I feel like switching controllers, I don't even have to turn the thing off to do it, I just do it.

The way I did this is VERY simple.

There are 5 wires in the average (S)NES controller. Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, and White. I hardwire all the wires in the internal controller in parallel with the corresponding wire contacts for the external controller port(on the back of the PCB, allowing me to plug in the external one still), EXCEPT for the WHITE wire, which you tape up and leave completely disconnected. That's all I did, and it has worked for months.

Hope this helps you guys make hotswap/auto override external player one compatible (S)NES units of your own. ^-^
Warranty-Voiding fun!

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:06 pm

If I remember right, the white wire is power. When I tried to do this a few months ago the int. controller never worked.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:24 pm

gannon wrote:If I remember right, the white wire is power. When I tried to do this a few months ago the int. controller never worked.
...Well....maybe it is hit or miss...I know the white wire is Vcc....but it still works in my unit. I don't know why it works, but it works in my unit, and has been working for months....if yours doesn't work, try putting in a switch on the VCC for internal controller/external controller.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:28 pm

I actually made an automatic switch for it like my n64. Basically all I did was cut a whole in the controller port and put a spdt lever switch in it.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:04 pm

gannon wrote:I actually made an automatic switch for it like my n64. Basically all I did was cut a whole in the controller port and put a spdt lever switch in it.
Interesting....I plan to hack apart my spare N64 like that too....and use the SCSI ribbon cable trick too....but I have to get an ITX first.

I just realized something...perhaps I accidentally put the switch in backwards, and the VCC is activated when I swap controllers or play the internal controller, and deactivated when I lock the internal.....It'd explain it, but that means that NES and SNES contollers can work off the same port in parallel no problems...but it doesn't explain why my player one controller external overrides the internal one when plugged in....meh, I'll figure it out someday, probably when I start on my NES.

Which wire(s) on the N64 controller did you hook to the switch?
Warranty-Voiding fun!

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:53 pm

I just hooked up the vcc wire to the switch. I didn't glue it in tightly though, so sometimes I have to wiggle the controller's cord when I plug it in for the switch to work.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:10 pm

What color is the N64 Vcc?
Warranty-Voiding fun!

pjmk

Post by pjmk » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:46 pm

How come you just can't solder ALL the wires to the internal controller. Will this somehow not let the controller you plug in work?

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:26 pm

The vcc is white in the n64 controller.
Yes, having 2 controllers hooked up with out a switch will cause them to send interfering data signals. The only way around it normaly is a switch, or to press the same button on the int. and ext. controller at the same time.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:52 pm

Wait....either my Vcc is off when I use my internal all the time, or it is on on both controllers when I use them. Both have been said to be impossible on the SNES, but my unit is existing proof that at least ONE of these is possible.
gannon wrote:The vcc is white in the n64 controller.
Yes, having 2 controllers hooked up with out a switch will cause them to send interfering data signals. The only way around it normaly is a switch, or to press the same button on the int. and ext. controller at the same time.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

Stooge

Post by Stooge » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:43 am

I don't know if this is very on topic but while reading this thread a thought occored to me. :idea:
Because you can hook the Snes controlers to work on the Nes, you could possably have a system link between the two. So you can play two player Nes games useing a NesP and a SnesP. Ofcorce it would only work on nes games unless you made extra buttons for the NesP unit.
But I think that would be ultamately cool! :D

pjmk

Post by pjmk » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:40 pm

Maybe there are too little milliamps going to the controller port and there isnt enough amps going to both controllers. What if you hooked the 5v line to the 7805 chip? Do u think both controllers would work then? Thanks

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:24 pm

It shouldn't be a problem with the amps since one port has enough amperage to power four controllers. I.E. The multi tap

MM007

Post by MM007 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:06 pm

Agreed. There is only one chip on the (S)NES controller board anyway. I'd guess that it only took a few milliamps to power the controller.
gannon wrote:It shouldn't be a problem with the amps since one port has enough amperage to power four controllers. I.E. The multi tap
Warranty-Voiding fun!