Custom Gameboy.

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Weston Uchiha
Custom Gameboy.

Post by Weston Uchiha » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 am

I am new to thi8s kind of thing and need advice.
I have this idea, I want to use a DSXL screen and bottom half of the Housing and the makings of a gameboy sp to make sort of a... Gameboy XL that will play my oldschool gb and gba games.
Any advice?
Or is something like this even possible... I will most likely try anyway but i want some advice from someone who may have tried doing something like this.

Thanks in advance... No pun intended. XD

ModderMan

Re: Custom Gameboy.

Post by ModderMan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:21 am

Sounds like a cool idea but you can't use the ds screen because it is different to the sp and would not work, you would have to use the SP's screen.
- ModderMan

Weston Uchiha

Post by Weston Uchiha » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 pm

I thought something like that would be the case, is there any way to use a screen from something else?
I know asking about screens is something that is asked very often on Benheck but i cant fined anything about gameboys specifically ...
Like i said i am new to this and am not really sure why some screens work and others dont aside from the obvious gap in technology between things like the sp and ds.
What about a PSone screen? They seem to be used a lot in portable console mods, would something like that work.

Thanks again for helping me out. XD

ModderMan

Post by ModderMan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Gameboys are designed to work with the screen they have already so they cannot just be connected to any screen, also people around here use ps one screens because they have Video lines that allow anything with a video out to be connected to it, like you would connect it to your tv. So as far as connecting a different screen to a gameboy goes I don't think it would be easily done without a lot of work.
- ModderMan

Weston Uchiha

Post by Weston Uchiha » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I am willing to put a lot of time and work into doing this, and i would hate to give up just because it would be hard. >>

Is there no screen similar enough to use? (sorry if i am being annoying asking such a thing)

If not, there is this thing called the TV de Advance ( http://www.chrismcovell.com/tvde.html )
If i used something like this i could hook it to the PSOne screen yes??
If that would work i could keep the whole thing intact inside the console and even remove the original screen to conserve power.
It would be extremely bulky even if that would work though. =[

ModderMan

Post by ModderMan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

I am not sure if there would be similar screen that would work, the only time I have seen someone use a different screen was when some one used an sp101 screen in an original gba here (http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), anyway the TV de Advance would work if you would even be able to get hold of one those. :?
- ModderMan

Weston Uchiha

Post by Weston Uchiha » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I have done some further reserch anf found this [http://www.konlabs.com/articles_data/gb ... /index.htm]

It seems I can make an av out without a Tv De Advance (witch would make the project massive and expensive anyway) so i presume that doing this would allow me to not only use the PSOne screen in my GBA XL but would also allow me to add a controller to the console. ^_^

I thank you for your advice so far, it has saved me a lot of time. ^_^