3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Waterloo
PSN Username:Waterloo9
360 GamerTag:Waterloo9
Re: 3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Post by Waterloo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 am

I got your PM but i cannot reply i think it is because i am a new member. Not sure if there is any other way we can talk i had a few questions. Like what is the difference betweeen digital and analog for the L2/R2? I know absolutely nothing about modding or any of this.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:57 am

If I'm not mistaken, RDC usually charges somewhere along the lines of $400-$500 for the wired 3PS60 controller. This might change when he has the wireless board all done up, but we will have to wait and see.

Personally, I thik that is the way to go, to build a PS3 size board that can natively accept the daughter board and allows you to just solder on all of the various components from the 360 wireless controller. No more cramming two boards together etc. the only problem becomes the battery pack etc.

But if anyone will figure out a way to do it, make it look nice, and have it work, it'll be RDC....

unless of course Ben gets tired of doing pinball and decides to get into PCBs from scratch. No telling what the king can do

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:44 pm

@Waterloo - digital vs analog

Analog - squeeze the trigger to go from semi auto to fully auto, the harder you squeeze, the faster you fire.

Digital - don't squeeze, no shooting, squeeze and you are full auto. Digital is all or nothing, on or off like a light switch. Analog is more like a dimmer switch.

Waterloo
PSN Username:Waterloo9
360 GamerTag:Waterloo9

Post by Waterloo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:42 pm

So with analog are you saying basically it is pressure sensitive? Because all i play is call of duty so this really wouldn't matter as long as when i press it it will shoot the run. I don't want it where i can hold it and it would go full auto with like a single fire if that is what you mean.

Texsdante
PSN Username:Texasgamer05
360 GamerTag:RedDotOnUrMind
Steam ID:RedDotOnUrMind

Post by Texsdante » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I was thinking about buying the xbox controller in a PS3 shell.

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm

@ Waterloo - Analog is variable, say from 0 (off) up to 1023 (on), and you can have any number in the middle as well, like 546 or 1001.

Digital is just 0 (off) or 1023 (on), there's no middle ground at all.

Analog is really more for say racing games, where you want control over the amount of something, like the Accelerator/Brake of the car. 0 = not pressed, 511 = pressed half way and 1023 = fully pressed, and all of the other numbers between those.

Digital is more for FPS and such where you want the button press to just do some action when pressed, shoot, jump, etc. 0 = do nothing, 1 = jump.

All of the buttons on the PS3 controllers are Pressure sensitive, which is just another way of saying they're Analog, but when making up a typical 3PS60 controller this function is lost as it's not needed and the buttons of the Wired 360 controller are all Digital, only the Sticks and LT/RT are Analog. I've been able to keep the L2/R2 (LT/RT) Analog, by adding in another Daughter board, which is a real PITA and more work than it needs to be, but if you're only after playing FPS type games then the Analog feature that the 360 controller has on the LT/RT is pretty much useless.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

L4st_St4nd

Post by L4st_St4nd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 pm

I thought of a way for a easier way to show how to do the tutorial. By having a picture of both sides of the circuit boards the then just put numbers on where each wire would connect. like connect 1 to 1, and 2 to 2, etc. Like connect the dots. They would have to figure out how the wire gets from each spot. Having the builder to figure out how the wire gets there but would be a easier way of just showing where each wire would connect. I was hoping to build one too, but i havent found a tutorial on how to do it yet.

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:41 pm

It's really not as easy as a couple of pics with some spots.

Which version of PS3 board will be used? The older MSU PP version or the newer Asuka? Then for the 360 is the pic going to be the cut down CL or the miniCL?

What pic is going to show the work done to the Daughter board? and how about the Headset? keeping the Triggers Analog? or making the Trigger Digital? There's just far too much work to cram into a few pics.

I can understand some of you wanting a tutorial made up for the 3PS60, but as I've said before it's a bit more work than one expects. I have no plans to make a tutorial or even build this particular controller anymore, and now that I'm working on the Wireless version of it, where there's really nothing in common between it and the Wired one aside from being in the PS3 controller shell, it would be a whole other project to make up a tutorial and cover all of the different facets of everything.

If you just need to know what spot is what for buttons and such, that information is already around for all of the different versions of controllers and has been for awhile now. ;)

PS3 - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wired CL - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=471958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:12 pm

OK, test boards are in for the miniCG2.

BOTTOM

I've already swapped over the components from a CG2 and found a few things that need correcting, but nothing really major to hold it up for another revision before I can do some testing.

So far I've only done the most simple test, that is just powering it up from the AA spots and pressing the Guide button to see what happened. What happened was the 360 turned on from across the room (~20ft), then I tried the A button and the game in the 360 loaded up, so it's off to a pretty good start. I'll get around to testing everything else later on and report what's up with it.

Adrian7724

Post by Adrian7724 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 pm

RDC wrote:Wanted to show another one of the controllers I've done. This one is a Wired CL version 360 controller stuck in a DualShock 3 shell.

This mod is done with the PS3 board (original version) stripped of almost all of it's parts and the controllers daughter board kept intact (mostly) and the CL board cut to about the size of the battery in a PS3 controller.

So is this available for sale and if yes how much would it be?

I play PC madden with a 360 controller, but would much rather prefer the PS3 controller. I've tried connecting Ps3 controller to PC with a 3d party driver, but its pretty flaky. If I understand correctly this thing would just about do exactly what I want it to do, a PS3 shell with 360 wiring so just simple plug and play, correct?

I don't even care about L2 and R2 not being analog or whatever the problem is, as long as they work like buttons.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Correct, it would work exactly like a wired 360 controller does on the PC, just in the PS3 controller shell is all, but, I no longer build this controller. Even if I did, you'd be looking at a right hefty price tag, as well as a pretty decent wait time, as I wouldn't build it that same way there again. It's already too time consuming and a royal PITA to make, so I'd redesign it and make it's own PS3 shaped board for the wired 360 components, so it would be awhile before I had one done.

Adrian7724

Post by Adrian7724 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:49 pm

RDC wrote:Correct, it would work exactly like a wired 360 controller does on the PC, just in the PS3 controller shell is all, but, I no longer build this controller. Even if I did, you'd be looking at a right hefty price tag, as well as a pretty decent wait time, as I wouldn't build it that same way there again. It's already too time consuming and a royal PITA to make, so I'd redesign it and make it's own PS3 shaped board for the wired 360 components, so it would be awhile before I had one done.
Damn, that's too bad. Are there any controllers out there that are PS3 shaped but are XBOX controllers that you know of? I could not find any unfortunately.

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:17 pm

I'd imagine there is some PS3-ish looking 360 controller made by some 3rd party company somewhere, but I haven't gone looking for one and I'm sure it wouldn't be close to how the PS3 shell feels if that's the main concern.

You may want to look into using a PS2 controller and PC adapter also. No idea what kind of compatibility issues there might be there, but it would be a fairly cheap test.

friendOfThatGUy

Post by friendOfThatGUy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey RDC,

a friend of mine showed me this link of your controllers and i created an account so that i can message you. sadly cause i just created this account i can't PM you. I would like to purchase one of your 360 to ps3 shell controllers. if you can send me an email so we can talk that would be awesome. my email should be available in my profile if not can i get yours?

thanks man

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I said I'd never make another one of these things up, unless it was wireless, but this one is actually a stepping stone towards that one.

This one also uses the Wired 360 CL version board, same one I've used in previous 3PS60 controllers that was cut down to size, and the same one I made the miniCL board from that's shown earlier in this thread, but I've designed the PCB up this time in the PS3 boards layout to hold all of the CL board's components.

This is still very much a Beta, and has it's issues that need addressed, but this is mainly to get the mechanical issues and such sorted out for later versions.

Everything so far has been tested, with the exception of the Headset connector.

The Triggers (L2/R2) are not Analog on this one, though I've plans to make them on later versions, but it's not in the top 10 list of things that need to be done first.