Gamecube Evo (my first handheld GCN)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

samsta64
360 GamerTag:SamstA64
Steam ID:SamstA64
Gamecube Evo (my first handheld GCN)

Post by samsta64 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Hey Ben Heck Forum!

SamstA64 here and i wanted to create this post to showcase the design for my new (and first) gamecube handheld.

I have read through the entire gamecube guide written by Kasar. So I am a bit prepared. I haven't got past the design phase yet but i need the forum's help on what kind of case i should get for my design. What kind of batteries I should use and if the PS1 screen is sufficient or not and so on.

So with out further ado, here is the design!

samsta64

Re: Gamecube Evo (my first handheld GCN)

Post by samsta64 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Hey guys!

Quick update on the design.

I made a 3d mockup in blender 3d in case anyone wonders what the program is.

Here it is:

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 am

Also I was wondering what case should I use?
I've been looking at some here are some i'm interested in

http://www.polycase.com/lp-61p
http://www.polycase.com/wa-25#

The lp-61p is very slim and small so i dont think i will end up using that. I want this portable to fit in my pocket relatively easily also. But the wa-25 is a bit larger and will probably end up using that. If I am making poor choices in my case selection, please let me know as this is my first time doing anything like this. Also, is Polycase the way to go?

Again Any kind of help is always appreciated!

Thanks
-Samsta

Smcelr2
360 GamerTag:CFDragon06

Post by Smcelr2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 am

What I think you should do is take careful consideration of all the components you know that you will need to put in this portable. Digitally (or just in your head or on paper) try to fit all of the pieces together like a puzzle, leaving room for wires and other connections, room for the buttons to be pressed, etc. Determine the smallest size volume you'll need and that will make your case selection that much easier. As far as company to get a case, I wouldn't know.

For your design, I like the layout for the most part. My only change would be to place the L/R buttons flush/mostly flush with the back plane of your case so that I could move the tops of the buttons down more. My opinion is that I wouldn't want them sticking up above the case that much. However, where they are placed will mostly depend on the thickness of the case because you want the use and function of all the buttons to be comfortable. (I think when I finalize my PS2p design, I'll make a model out of structural foam to test the feel)

Just some things that I think. I hope they may help you. Good luck with your project

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Guys sorry for the triple post but i really do need help i mean this is my first time attempting this so i want to be prepared and have it well designed which is the reason for the 3d model :lol:

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Smcelr2 wrote:What I think you should do is take careful consideration of all the components you know that you will need to put in this portable. Digitally (or just in your head or on paper) try to fit all of the pieces together like a puzzle, leaving room for wires and other connections, room for the buttons to be pressed, etc. Determine the smallest size volume you'll need and that will make your case selection that much easier. As far as company to get a case, I wouldn't know.

For your design, I like the layout for the most part. My only change would be to place the L/R buttons flush/mostly flush with the back plane of your case so that I could move the tops of the buttons down more. My opinion is that I wouldn't want them sticking up above the case that much. However, where they are placed will mostly depend on the thickness of the case because you want the use and function of all the buttons to be comfortable. (I think when I finalize my PS2p design, I'll make a model out of structural foam to test the feel)

Just some things that I think. I hope they may help you. Good luck with your project
Thanks for the feedback!

so you mean something like this?

Smcelr2

Post by Smcelr2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Right idea, yea. This should work fine if you make the shoulder buttons using tact switches. I remember the GC controller having a lot of travel on the shoulder buttons (I believe they were analog but not 100% on that, it was definitely useful in ssbm). If you want to use the actual button connections from the controller, you will have to cut into the side of the case to all your index fingers to travel the length of the button travel.

Looks to be a comfortably sized portable and looks really sleek as it is. Good luck on the process and keep us updated. I'm just learning a lot of this stuff myself and look forward to anything I could learn from you as well helping any way that I can.

Smcelr2

Post by Smcelr2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 am

Also, if that is the on/off switch on the top right of the case, by the R button, I'd make sure the Left side of the switch is the on position so you don't accidentally push the system off during a bit of excited gameplay ;) (Unless you have oversized index fingers, I can't imagine easily sliding/pulling the switch right without actually trying to)

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 am

Smcelr2 wrote:Right idea, yea. This should work fine if you make the shoulder buttons using tact switches. I remember the GC controller having a lot of travel on the shoulder buttons (I believe they were analog but not 100% on that, it was definitely useful in ssbm). If you want to use the actual button connections from the controller, you will have to cut into the side of the case to all your index fingers to travel the length of the button travel.

Looks to be a comfortably sized portable and looks really sleek as it is. Good luck on the process and keep us updated. I'm just learning a lot of this stuff myself and look forward to anything I could learn from you as well helping any way that I can.
I thought the shoulder buttons on a gc controller were pressure sensitive?
Smcelr2 wrote:Also, if that is the on/off switch on the top right of the case, by the R button, I'd make sure the Left side of the switch is the on position so you don't accidentally push the system off during a bit of excited gameplay ;) (Unless you have oversized index fingers, I can't imagine easily sliding/pulling the switch right without actually trying to)
Ah yes good idea :lol:

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:44 am

Also I ordered my Gamecube, PS1 screen, and wii key all yesterday. :lol: But what i didnt get was a battery because i have no idea what to get :cry: Any suggestions?

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:31 am

I would recommend:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Li-ion/Polymer-Battery.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used their batteries and so other known modders and we can all recommend this site.

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:33 am

lexxion83 wrote:I would recommend:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Li-ion/Polymer-Battery.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used their batteries and so other known modders and we can all recommend this site.
Oh wow thank you so much!

Buuut which one do i get? :P the one cell ones? Im completely new so any help would be appreciated.

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:00 am

Single cells are for, let us say, experienced modders because you have to wire them correctly, put in the protection circuit and you can arrange them as you want. I usually buy these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ionpacks37-89v.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are already wrapped to different shapes, and they have protection circuit build in. I just choose the rating and size and maybe get the charger and you are done. You can ask some more experienced modders what they prefer too.

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:39 am

lexxion83 wrote:Single cells are for, let us say, experienced modders because you have to wire them correctly, put in the protection circuit and you can arrange them as you want. I usually buy these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ionpacks37-89v.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are already wrapped to different shapes, and they have protection circuit build in. I just choose the rating and size and maybe get the charger and you are done. You can ask some more experienced modders what they prefer too.
I see what you are saying. So i sould get a battery pack. But I saw this post where ShockSlayer said that the Gamecube can run off of 5v or lower? That confused me. Which battery do I have to buy?

samsta64

Post by samsta64 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 am

Also, the gamecube that i ordered reported errors and they canceled the order... Sadface. I probably will go to the thrift store with my friend. He says that they have gamecube stuff (mem cards, gamecube, and controllers etc) So I will let you know. The wiikey is still on its way :lol: