Downing's GBA Complete

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

cndowning
Location:"I'm not allowed more than 1 mile from my home and/or work"
Downing's GBA Complete

Post by cndowning » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:47 pm

While I'm waiting on a few parts to come in, I thought I'd start up a small and quick project (hopefully) that I should have done by the end of the week. I acquired a GBA in a bulk buy from a friend of mine a few months ago and it came with a very scratched up screen and a few dings in it. Worked great though. So I ordered in a replacement screen covering (screen was fine, covering was scratched up pretty good) and was about to swap it when I got to thinking how much I hate how dark the GBA screen is. With no back light, it made for impossible viewing in dark or reflective areas.

So I decided to do an LED mod using 3MM white LEDs, 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom. Of course where to put them was a problem as well as what I was going to use to power them. So that led to the update of the systems batteries in which now there is a 7.4V 2000ma Li-Ion battery with a 7805 regulator in it's place. Yes I will be putting in a recharge jack, probably mini USB to recharge the batteries. This should also greatly increase play time even with 4 LEDs going.

So getting as far as I could today as I do not have the proper resistor to power the LEDs correctly, I got the LED's in place, the battery placed and the case halves painted. Again, a nice Red, White and Black.

Hopefully the resistors will be in this week and I can finish this off so I can start back up on my desk. Just waiting for some more parts for that one as well. But I'll keep you updated as I go! Enjoy!
Last edited by cndowning on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ______Image______
Check My Site and Subscribe!
Also this is where my Case Making Guide can be found!

Muniosi

Re: Downing's GBA LED & Battery Mod

Post by Muniosi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Sweet! I got a GBA off eBay for this very purpose a few months ago, and I haven't even opened it yet. :lol:

cndowning
Location:"I'm not allowed more than 1 mile from my home and/or work"

Re: Downing's GBA Complete

Post by cndowning » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 am

So after a few failed attempts at an extended battery and LED mod, I decided to just call this one quits with just a custom paint job.

Using the other GBA I had on hand, I replaced the back portion as the original could not hold AA batteries anymore and rather than waste time painting it Red, this one was a transparent Pink. I thought about putting a couple LED's in there for some lighting effects on the back, but like I said, I don't want to put any more time into this.

I now have three case commissions on hand that I need to do before I can start back up on my desk project so I've got some work to do!
Image ______Image______
Check My Site and Subscribe!
Also this is where my Case Making Guide can be found!

Modgyver
360 GamerTag:tech5mods

Re: Downing's GBA Complete

Post by Modgyver » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:03 pm

yeah i ruined a few sp's my self, but that's how i learned i guess..3 sp's ..i briought them back to life by bypassing the blown fuse, but after that i some how managed to short it again.. your advance looks good though..