3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

gilles
Re: 3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Post by gilles » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:19 am

RDC, do these photos means you want to do and sell some controlers ?
i'm interrested

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 am

These photos mainly show that I had nothing better to do for a few days time. ;)

I don't have any real burning desire to build any more 3PS60 controllers, though I'll probably make at least one up at some point and use this board to see how it goes.

PM me what you're looking to have made up, but if it's a 3PS60 controller don't phreak over the cost of the thing, it's not cheap, cause it's not easy. Granted using this minCL board would make the process smoother on the one hand, but I still have to swap all of the parts from the CL board over to it and make sure it works so it can be used. It's still easier in the long run versus hacking the CL board up and using it the way I used to make these up, but it's still also a lot of work.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

gap999

Post by gap999 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:51 pm

RDC,

You mentioned in a note to me that you would be interested in getting your hands on an e-dimensional access controller for 360 to see how it works and how you might make it wired. I have several. Drop me a note and let me know how to email you if you are still interested. My disabled son does not need the wireless capability, if we can figure out a way to make the access controller work wired that would me incredible.

gilles

Post by gilles » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:50 am

yes i want a 3PS60, maybe 2 just in case
i can't PM you but you can join me at g_boulon@hotmail.com

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 pm

The updated version board has showed up and I've transferred everything from a controller over to it. If there are no issues with the testing phase of this one, it'll be going into a 3PS60 to see how much fun that will be.

BOTTOM

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

DK

Post by DK » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 am

Will you be selling populated boards? Looks perfect for a mobile phone controller I'm working on.

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am

I could make some up if anyone wanted, but it would cost a bit more than what a Wired controller does, since this is a little more work than just hacking one up with a Dremel.

It's dimensions are roughly 42.5mm x 20.5mm x 6mm also. The X-tal on the board makes it that thick. With a smaller one on there you could get it around 4mm, but I made it to use all of the existing Wired CL controller parts.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:56 pm

You should make one for wireless controllers as well. It would have to be a tad larger, I presume, but it could probably still fit in a 3PS60, just with 100% more awesome. Perhaps it could be powered off a DS3 battery?
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 pm

You should fund it. ;)

The Wireless CG version controller uses a 100pin QFP versus the 56pin QFN of the CL controller, and that difference alone is 4 times the size. The Wireless IC alone would barely fit on the miniCL board here, so it would need to be a tad larger indeed.

There are also other considerations and hurdles that need addressing, the battery being only one of them. The PS3 battery could be used, but then you'd have almost no room for a miniCG board. Then there's the issue of recharging it, as it's a Li-Ion versus the Ni-MH the 360 PnC charger is made for, so a charging circuit would also need to be installed. Then a Sync button, then something done about the Sticks, as the ones in PS3 controllers are of a different type and smaller than the 360 Sticks. Also the way the PS3 button layout works and keeping the Triggers Analog as well as the Headset connector, and on and on and on I can go.

Trust me, I've given it quite a bit of thought, and sooner or later I'll get at least one Wireless 3PS60 made up, it's just not a 3 day project like the miniCL here was.

superscience

Post by superscience » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 am

Hey, I'm actually really interested in making one of these myself except the only thing that I would actually be doing would be making the ps3 controller a 360 controller without modifying the buttons. I don't even need to have the analog stick to work, just having all the buttons and the triggers. If you do continue to make these boards or are willing to sell them, please let me know ^^

Also, I'm curious, is there still the same restriction that your older controllers had, namely having to use an older version of the ps3 controller?

Thanks a lot

BlackLantern
PSN Username:auskye
360 GamerTag:Auroro Skye

Post by BlackLantern » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I still can't PM to get details on the possibility of buying a 3PS60 but I had a couple questions. I can't tell what you've decided on the selling of one anymore.

In the 4 years this thread has existed has the cost come down much?

Not necessarily specifically for this mod but would it be possible to make it easier to use the controller's L-stick and R-stick (L3/R3) buttons? I have a physically disability limiting ease of use with those buttons. My PS3 controller was used and one is easier to use than the other but both still difficult (glad it still works). Now, buying a 360, the controller is painfully awkward and find myself pressing it with my palm. This is something I would want if I got such a controller.

If I could solve the above problem I'd get a PS3 to 360 converter but I haven't found one with allowing a chat connection. I'm not picky and could live with Cross, Triangle, Square, and Circle buttons if that simplified things.

BlackLantern
PSN Username:auskye
360 GamerTag:Auroro Skye

Post by BlackLantern » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm

I still can't PM to get details on the possibility of buying a 3PS60 but I had a couple questions. I can't tell what you've decided on the selling of one anymore.

In the 4 years this thread has existed has the cost come down much?

Not necessarily specifically for this mod but would it be possible to make it easier to use the controller's L-stick and R-stick (L3/R3) buttons? I have a physically disability limiting ease of use with those buttons. My PS3 controller was used and one is easier to use than the other but both still difficult (glad it still works). Now, buying a 360, the controller is painfully awkward and find myself pressing it with my palm. This is something I would want if I got such a controller.

If I could solve the above problem I'd get a PS3 to 360 converter but I haven't found one with allowing a chat connection. I'm not picky and could live with Cross, Triangle, Square, and Circle buttons if that simplified things.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 pm

I did a little more brainstorming on how I'd go about making a Wireless 3PS60, as the more I think of the difficulties in making the thing the more I have to figure out ways around them.

I've always figured that the entire board would have to be redone, as there just really isn't much room for making up some additional one, and even if there was it would still have to be soldered up to the original PCB and then all that wire would take up even more room, plus having to solder to the Vias in the PS3 controller, which are already small enough, and then going from the PS3 controllers 3 COM line Analog button layout to anything else, so a redux of the entire PCB with the Wireless 360 components on it is how I'm going to attempt this... some day.

I've also decided to use a PIC to keep the original Analog button setup of the PS3 controller mainly intact and convert it to a Digital setup that the CG2 can use. This way the flexible Daughter board will not have to be messed with at all, and then a DAC will be used for the L2/R2 buttons so they can be kept Analog for the LT/RT of the 360 controller, plus swapping them around with L1/R1 will also be possible.

For powering it I've decided on the PS3 battery and some Li-Ion charger built in. Using the 360 battery setup would add more work of putting in a PnC charger, or a new 7 pin connector for it, and finding some suitable battery pack to stuff in there, or alter the controller shell to hold some AA mess, which would all be on top of the already daunting project. Since the 360 has 5v standby on the USB ports when it's powered off the controller will still be able to charge, it just isn't going to be able to turn the 360 off like a stock wireless controller can when it's fully charged, but that's a trivial thing to lose.

I've already done up the schematic for the CG2, some time ago actually, so that part of this is a done deal, just need to tweak the footprints for all of the components and check it all over again, and again.

These are very preliminary renders of the Wireless 3PS60 board, and nothing will be where it's at now once I get to the trace routing stage of things.

BOTTOM

superscience

Post by superscience » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey, I'm wondering whether I could get one of those mini 360miniCL PCBs. I have a friend who wants a PS3 controller that works on 360. He only wants to have the functionality of the 360 controller and doesn't need the 360 buttons or anything. Would I still need one of the older PS3 Sixaxis controllers, or would it be ok with any of the new PS3 Dualshock 3? Also how straight forward is the wiring? Is it for the most part one to one or is there some necessary things to put inbetween?

Thanks a lot, this all looks amazing. I think that if you post this over in the tech talk thread over at shoryuken.com, you might actually find a crowd for that board. Some people use PS3 controllers and aren't able to use it in 360 controllers so this would be the perfect solution for that.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:16 pm

@ superscience - There are only a few PS3 controllers that can be completely used, the older MSU PP4.0 versions and the newest Asuka version, but if you're not planning on using the Sticks then technically any of them could be used, though it's still a bit of work.

forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648322

The miniCL isn't made as a 'drop in and wire up' board for the PS3 controller, it's just a tiny wired 360 controller board is all, there's still work that would need to be done even for just using it on the buttons/Triggers of a PS3 controller. All of the carbon traces on the Daughter board need severed, so the button contact can complete the circuit when pressed, and if you want to keep the Triggers Analog that's a whole other mess and another Daughter board to deal with, where making them work as buttons takes a couple of Transistors and Resistors to do.

The Stick lines on the miniCL would need to be 'locked' in the center position if they aren't going to be used so they couldn't float, which causes all kinds of weirdo issues on any controller, and that takes some 10k Resistors is all.

If you're still wanting a miniCL made up, you can PM about one.

@ BlackLantern - I have no plans to make any more of the 3PS60 controllers, unless I can get the Wireless one worked out.

Making the L3/R3 buttons easier to press would mean swapping out those buttons, which means tearing the sticks apart to do so, and even then finding a new button that is easier to press and still fits in the space allotted would be a real chore. The best thing to do there might be to add a couple of buttons somewhere else on the controller for you to use instead.

There are also PS2 to 360 controller converters that have the chat connector built onto them, and the PS2 controller isn't much different from the PS3, so that may be another option for you as well.