Need help with A/V Switch I built

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Steel Ah Live
360 GamerTag:Steel Ah Live
Need help with A/V Switch I built

Post by Steel Ah Live » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 am

I've recently updated my Car's A/V Switch as the first one wasn't very aesthetic, and i knew i could do better...So heres the problem. I built the A/V Switch so my Ipod/Ipad and Iphone could both be hooked up at the same time to my Car Stereo. One of my build criteria was so that both Audio Sources would play, regardless of video ie for GPS and Music at same time and what not. Everything works like it should except the audio when both devices are plugged in loses volume. The moment I unplug the Iphone or Ipod the audio from the other device cranks right up to normal. They are both independently powered thru USB, one by the Car Stereo and the other by cigarette lighter. I've posted a few pics here of the wiring. So...I guess my question is do i need resistors or something inline with the audio sources so that the audio doesn't cut out. I'm not an electrician so need some advice. Thanks in advance.

Steel

Steel Ah Live

Re: Need help with A/V Switch I built

Post by Steel Ah Live » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 am

Finished Product:

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:25 am

You'll need an audio amp. Your splitting the audio signal (and video signal for that matter) without boosting the signal.
You can easily harvest or make one.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

Steel Ah Live

Post by Steel Ah Live » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 pm

I've got a JL Audio 250 watt amp pushing to Alpine 12's (Old stuff) but they work no problems...but the signals go into the radio direct... and then the subs plug into the radio separately. so you saying they should go to the amp first? not quite sure i understand what you mean.

Thanks for the reply

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:32 pm

It needs to be amplified in the AV switch.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

Steel Ah Live

Post by Steel Ah Live » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Any schematics or resources to look at for doing such. There's only a hand full of A/V Switch DIY's out there and i dont want to go the micro circuit / switch route if possible. And i dont need the video portion to be amplified as it works perfectly as is.

Thanks for the replies!!

Steel

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:56 am

It's pretty simple. The audio goes into the amp, power goes in, and a boosted audio signal comes out.
If you needed schematics for the amp itself, I don't know those. You can check the interblags for that.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.