Hyperkin SupaBoy, Newest Commercial Snesp, Stripped & Naked

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Hyperkin SupaBoy, Newest Commercial Snesp, Stripped & Naked

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Official Website:
http://hyperkin.com/index.php/supaboy-p ... sole.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quick Overview
At home or on the go, the SupaBoy plays your favorite Super Nintendo and Super Famicom cartridges anywhere you are.

Product Features :

Two seven-pin ports in front for wired controllers
SNES controller design
Screen size (diagonal): 3.5 inches
2.5 Hours battery life
Measures: 8.5 x 4 x 1.5 inches
Weight: 11.5 ounces
Stereo sound
AV Out
Headphone jack
Adjustable volume control

Product Description:

The SupaBoy will play original SNES cartridges on a built-in 3.5” LCD screen and is designed to look like an original SNES controller including a D-pad, face buttons, as well as right and left shoulder buttons. The SupaBoy also includes two front loading ports that are compatible with full-size SNES controllers and video/audio out, allowing up to two players to play the SupaBoy on a regular TV screen.

Now that all that is over with ....... I have one of these in hand. It's a pretty nice portable, not to heavy, not to light.

It's 8 3/4" x 4" x 1 3/4" overall dimensions. As a comparison the FC16Go is 7" x 4" x 1 3/4".

The screen is 3.5" and is just bright enough and looks very sharp. Much better than the Yobo FC16Go screen. It also runs off a standard 3.5v, so it can be used and replaced easily.

The sound is good but it doesn't get very loud, and there is a slight hum at louder volumes.

The buttons are nice and the d-pad is nice. But I have had problems with diagonals and left or right then immediately down. Like when trying to make Mario run and slide. With the Snes controller you can just push right/left then diagonal and Mario ducks and slides. With the built in d-pad you have to let go of the left/right and then push down. Much harder that way.

The game cartridge fits snug and can be locked in so it doesn't move. This is accomplished with a slide tab on the back that when slid left puts pressure on the cart making the cart stay much more steady.

Well here are the pics :

My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

hailrazer

Re: Hyperkin SupaBoy, Newest Commercial Snesp, Stripped & Naked

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm

And now , don't be shocked, but here is the Hyperkin SupaBoy NAKED !!!!

My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Looks nice.
Fun fact: The Hyperkin guys have seen almost all the portables here. (That's what they told me)

Wonder how it ranks for sound quality. As as it's minor it won't bug me much.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:45 pm

marshallh wrote:Looks nice.
Fun fact: The Hyperkin guys have seen almost all the portables here. (That's what they told me)

Wonder how it ranks for sound quality. As as it's minor it won't bug me much.
The quality seems good, it's just the volume doesn't get super loud and the slight hum through the speakers is annoying. The hum is also present in the headphones. Wonder if a cap would fix it?
My Portable Systems:

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Looks like the amp is the 8pin chip under the mess of caps near the jack. What's the part no?

Find the supply input, cut the trace and wire a choke in series. Probably noise from the switching PSU on the batterybox.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:14 pm

It's a tda2822m

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... Xqwxzy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What choke do you recommend ?
My Portable Systems:

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:21 pm

I'll have to check when I get home but I think the audio has been fixed my hyperkin themselves. There was a post from a hyperkin guy on Digital Press about the audio being "unacceptable" and to send back any faulty units for a replacement.

Tapatalk mobile post wooooooo

Djsefnet
PSN Username:Djsefnet

Post by Djsefnet » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:10 am

I recently got one of these bad boys because i was looking to get another portable going, but this one was to good to pass up!
it is pretty nice but they did seem to rush these out as some mediocre soldering spots and glue covering cords..

Mine stopped working just a day after i received it. The screen turns on white and the sound is way way low but the game music can be heard. Its like the screen gets power but no video. I thought i might have jarred a wire loose and i cracked my baby open to look. I looked for a loose cord and have discovered the little black box that is connected to the first wire in the 4th pic hailrazer posted was just being held on by the glue and not solder.. so i solder the piece back into the board but it still has the white screen boot and extremely low sound...

Just wondering if anyone has messed around with one of these and have any info? im tinkering with it now and will be hoping to fix it sooner than later as i was just about to play earthbound and fall asleep :(
Fire in the hole

Tempy

Post by Tempy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Any luck with getting the sound issues fixed?

Someone on digitpress had only this to say: "change 8 pin sound amplifier TDA2822M by Njm2073d"
but I'm not sure that would make a difference.

nusilver
PSN Username:nusilver
360 GamerTag:nusilver
Steam ID:nusilver

Post by nusilver » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm

[quote="hailrazer"]And now , don't be shocked, but here is the Hyperkin SupaBoy NAKED !!!!

hailraizer, how did you deal with the glue that was holding this together once you took the screws out? I have a Pokefami DX that I would like to teardown, but have run into glue similar to what is holding the Supaboy together. Please help! I don't want to break the Pokefami DX - the plastic feels pretty dang cheap.

:)

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm

No glue on mine.
My Portable Systems: