Has the Retro Duo been discontinued?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ProgMetalMan
Has the Retro Duo been discontinued?

Post by ProgMetalMan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Okay, the Retro Duo has been sold out everywhere for like a year without an ETA. The other day, Thinkgeek pulled it off their site. Does anyone know what happened?
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

tom61

Re: Has the Retro Duo been discontinued?

Post by tom61 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Probably supplanted by the three-in-one type units (NES, SNES, and Genesis/MegaDrive).

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:09 pm

tom61 wrote:Probably supplanted by the three-in-one type units (NES, SNES, and Genesis/MegaDrive).
Makes sense. I looked on their distributer's website and it's still there. They don't seem to make 3-in-1's yet. They have portable Megadrives/Genisises, Retro Entertainment Systems, and Retro Duo. If Retro-Bit did make a 3-in-1, that would rock! They have the best clones, and it would allow me to preserve my model 1 Genesis for future generations.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Gawd..if only Retro-bit made a clone genesis...that'd rock soooooo hard lol. It'd insta-replace the radica board in my neutron lol.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Gawd..if only Retro-bit made a clone genesis...that'd rock soooooo hard lol. It'd insta-replace the radica board in my neutron lol.
They don't make home console versions, but they have 2 portables (kinda useless, I know.)

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Oh dang..those are made by retro bit :oops: ....I wonder why they produce them when the emulation is so weak...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:25 pm

I bought a Retro Duo for my Mom, about 3 years ago, and it worked for a month or two, then started sucking. The controllers are cheap and don't respond right, the NES slot is way too tight, and the power supply recently fell apart. I'm going to buy a refurbished NES from the Nintendo Repair Shop website pretty soon, and I'll probably do the same for my Mom's next birthday as well.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:25 am

A record store near me that also sells games just got them in stock again, but at the price they are selling them new ($60) plus the cost of me shipping it to you would be better served getting something else I'd say. Look around though maybe a new shipment happened for no reason they and are available in more places again.

Tapatalk mobile post wooooooo

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Okay, so they started a Version 3 run, but the supplier is already out. If you want them, get 'em while you can!

I got one for Christmas. Only complaint is the tight NES slot, which can have trouble reading certain games. (The cartridges are prolly copulate up though.)

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 am

they still make them. Pretty soon they will be taking preorders for portable retro duo portables for I think around $90.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

wallydawg

Re: Re: Has the Retro Duo been discontinued?

Post by wallydawg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:14 pm

themadhacker wrote:they still make them. Pretty soon they will be taking preorders for portable retro duo portables for I think around $90.
So far reviews have been lackluster, as all mass portables have been so far, (imo from cutting corners to keep prices "reasonable" ). I don't care for the design either personally, which I guess isn't that big a deal to us, being that most of us here could recase it, and we are really not the Target market for this sort of thing anyway, but controller flanks :(

Tapatalk mobile post wooooooo

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:56 pm

They're supposed to be making a Genesis adapter for the SNES slot. It's called the Retro-Gen adapter, and a Google search only brings up the Retrogen portables.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 am

I've seen that thing on ebay...it looks interesting. It appears to be essentialy just a Genesis on a chip with a pin converter on it...It'd be interesting to get one and crack it open.

I just wonder how accurate its emulation will be....

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:43 pm

On my new RD, I have an ad for the genesis adapter. i wonder how that will work out since the snes has four action button and the genesis 6. Use L and R as z and c?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:55 pm

That's where I saw it, and that's what I assume, unless they release more controllers or do Y as A, B as B, and A as C.