2 Controllers Into 1

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Klefmung
Re: 2 Controllers Into 1

Post by Klefmung » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:23 am

I guess the amount of wires is really important. What I was thinking port wise was the necessity of opening up a dead SNES to grab the ports, then an outside controller to hack off the plug to go into the SNES. This would be easier if you had all that, I spose. Two options, different challenges, same outcome.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

SweBjorn

Post by SweBjorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 am

I finally found one to purchase. There are no resellers in any area close to me. This is for SN7400N:

https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/in ... &toc=20071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SweBjorn

Post by SweBjorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 am

evilteddy wrote:Now that I think more on it in the light of day with my brain awake you will of course need to use an AND gate not a NAND which is what Micro has been kind enough to show you.
Wait what???
I ordered a SN7400N (Quad 2-Input NAND). I didnt see this post before. Did I order the wrong one now?????

micro

Post by micro » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:39 am

Relax =)
If you feed the result of the NAND gate into another NAND gate then you'll have an AND gate. That's just what is shown on the schematic. The IC you ordered is the right one :mrgreen:

SweBjorn

Post by SweBjorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:01 pm

So I need to buy 1 more of the one I just bought? How would I connect them together?

micro

Post by micro » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:17 pm

SweBjorn wrote:So I need to buy 1 more of the one I just bought? How would I connect them together?
No no, you don't need another IC. The IC you've bought already got 4 different NAND gates and we're going to use 2 of them.
Just connect the wires as shown on the pic and you'll be fine =)

SweBjorn

Post by SweBjorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm

micro wrote:
SweBjorn wrote:So I need to buy 1 more of the one I just bought? How would I connect them together?
No no, you don't need another IC. The IC you've bought already got 4 different NAND gates and we're going to use 2 of them.
Just connect the wires as shown on the pic and you'll be fine =)
Oh, thank god. I even paid 13bucks to get fast shipping so did not want to buy the wrong one. Alright, well then things are back on track. I hope it will arrive on monday and will be posting images and most likely a why doesnt this work post :)

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Sorry for causing any panic. Micro's original circuit uses two of the four NAND gates on the chip to make an AND gate so you'll have everything you need. If you got only one chip just make sure that you're very careful when soldering it. If overheated these chips have been know to die, make sure that you do the solder connections quickly so it doesn't heat up too much and leave some time between each soldering joint to let it cool down a little. Apart from that good luck. Can't wait to see the finished product.

SweBjorn

Post by SweBjorn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:38 am

Lol, didnt know I needed to use soldering. Thats going to be interesting to see how that goes. I assume this is how the gate will look:

And then I solder onto those pins.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:24 am

Well you'll need to do the electrical connections somehow. Soldering is just the most durable and versatile of methods. Hopefully the chip you get will be a DIP packaging which is larger than the chip in the picture you have there which shows what appears to be an SOIC package. When you showed heaps of options before the packaging was what differentiated many of them. You should be fine either way though.

SweBjorn

Post by SweBjorn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:19 am

I have not gotten it yet. So this will be delayed because Im going back to my apartment today, and I ordered it to my parents house. So need to wait until next time I get back here, this weekend I guess.