Sega CD model 1 problems

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Cholkavich
360 GamerTag:Cholkavich
Sega CD model 1 problems

Post by Cholkavich » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 pm

I recently picked up two broken Model 1 sega CDs for cheap. Both had problems with the disc drive and one had a blown fuse. I managed to get both working but it seems like I'm having a really hard time getting them to keep the disc drive closed. I know that the laser works and is able to read the disc. I was able to get a game to play but I had to manually load the disc ( take it apart and load in the disc then reassemble) I'm thinking it has to do with the the laser mechanism not locking into place. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or any advice to fix it. Thanks! (sorry if this is a common topic haha I'm new here)

tom61

Re: Sega CD model 1 problems

Post by tom61 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:25 pm

There's a large gear that opens/closes the tray and raises/lowers the laser mechanism. Pull the tray out past where it normally comes out and re-align the gap in the gear to where it's on the edge of the tray and push the tray back in. You'll probably have to play with a bit to figure it out, it's hard to describe exactly and I couldn't get good pics even.

Also, check the switches under the tray to make sure they're still aligned.

Cholkavich
360 GamerTag:Cholkavich

Re: Sega CD model 1 problems

Post by Cholkavich » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:10 am

Hey thanks for responding, I know what gear your talking about (I think) but as far As realigning the gap to where it's on the edge I'm a little confused.. I checked the switches under the tray and hey seem to be aligned. I'll take another look at it in the morning and see if I can make any progress