Spambots and Forum Settings

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360
Spambots and Forum Settings

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 am

I have said it once, and I will say it again. Can we get the Forum settings fixed?

One of you Moderators should tell Ben to give one of you Admin permissions. It is not bloody rocket science.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Re: Spambots and Forum Settings

Post by Black Six » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:37 am

The request has been made, believe me it annoys me as much (if not more) as it does you.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:57 am

something Video Co-Pilot does is hide the first 3 posts of any user till it gets approved by a moderator, if their post don't get approved, then they don't get to post of the forum, could we introduce something like that?

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:02 am

I'm not super-familiar with the phpBB settings, so I can't say what we can and cannot do. I'm sure there are tools that could lessen the annoyance all these spambots are causing though.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 am

Black Six wrote:I'm not super-familiar with the phpBB settings, so I can't say what we can and cannot do. I'm sure there are tools that could lessen the annoyance all these spambots are causing though.
There are no tools. Only options.
It is just common sense to stop the spam bots with tricks.
Take a look at my forum as an example. I have not logged in for maybe 5 months. I just checked it now, and I have zero attacks of spam or any inactive users.

If you can PLEASE temporarily make an account and give the login info as Admin, in approximately 25 minutes, I can fix it up for you.
Surely you can trust me by now that I am not going to 'attack' the system of any crap like that.

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:38 am

Like I said, the request has been made. We're no going to make a member an admin before an existing moderator. Until someone who can do something bothers to check, we have to wait and I will continue removing the spam posts as I find them.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 am

Haunted360 wrote:Take a look at my forum as an example. I have not logged in for maybe 5 months. I just checked it now, and I have zero attacks of spam or any inactive users.
That's because nobody gives a copulate about your forums.
Haunted360 wrote:If you can PLEASE temporarily make an account and give the login info as Admin, in approximately 25 minutes, I can fix it up for you.
Surely you can trust me by now that I am not going to 'attack' the system of any crap like that.
lol desperate

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 am

ShockSlayer wrote:That's because nobody gives a copulate about your forums.
Mate, I was clearly making a point.
It is not like ModRetro is any better anyway.
ShockSlayer wrote:lol desperate
No. Not desperate. It is called being polite.
I would like to be useful and actually fix this forum. But, I guess I thought wrong. It is still just filled with trolls like yourself.
ShockSlayer wrote:SS
H360 :lol:

Lets get this topic deleted please. Not closed. Deleted.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Haunted got told now he wants his shame to be "deleted"

LOL HAUNTED360

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:40 pm

I think the point is that evading inactive members is not really that hard to do when you don't even have active members. :P I know you disagree, but I think most people would agree that ModRetro is perhaps a little better than your forums. Not as good as BenHeck maybe, but still better. ;)

No need to attack H360, guys, he was just trying to help BH, and was a heck of a lot more polite about it than some of us have been in the past!

Excellent

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:49 pm

FYI, its not just spambots. A lot of the spam on larger forums is done by actual humans in China, India, Pakistan, and the like. You can change all the phpBB settings you want, but it's near impossible to keep them out. If you set up the .htaccess to disallow those entire countries you can get rid of most of it.

Oh, and regardless of the way SS said it, he has a valid point. Its highly doubtful you'll get admin access, if even for 1 minute. I'm sure the staff is more than capable of taking care of it better than you would if they had the access.

And surely you can't be comparing ModRetro, one of the more active modding sites, to your forums with only a handful of members and no activity?

Krayer

Post by Krayer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Meh

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:12 pm

When was the last time ben posted, what, 5 months ago? And the last time he even logged in was over a month? You think he's going to help you? Image

Easiest way to take care of spam IMO is ban the middle east and pretty much everywhere else that doesn't speak english in some form, then have a rotating sign up question that is simple but difficult to answer without googling(this weeds out noobs, too.) In the ban reasons, specify a way for potential contributing members from banned countries to apply for an account, like an email address or some crap.

Aaand solved. Occasionally a few might slip through, but not so many as to overwhelm any active staff.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Why you guys are at it, do you suck each others dicks?
You seem to all post instantly in a group if I am not mistaken.

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Okay everyone, cut it out, now.

gannon set it up so all new members need their posts approved before they appear. Hopefully this will help reduce the problem.

Closerized.