Ps2p HELP, no red light when i plug in adapter 8.5v, fix????

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Gamerlolwind51649
Ps2p HELP, no red light when i plug in adapter 8.5v, fix????

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Hay everybody,
i tested my ps2 with my new battery, a li ion 7.2v 5400mah, it wasn't charged at all, or a little, i got no power on ps2.
the cable that goes to the battery to ps2 is AC, the power jack on the ps2 says dc, is the ac cable caused the problem of no power?

when i plugged in my ps2 adapter 8.5v i got no power red light, i tried again and again nothing.
i remember my cube's dc ntsc adapter blow fuse and gave no power, but my dc pal worked fen.

i found a vid or some info that the power jack three solder points might e damaged or something and can be resoldered y applying new solder to fix.

maybe my adapter has fused?

what do i do?

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toby dawg
Portablizer

Re: Ps2p HELP, no red light when i plug in adapter 8.5v, fix????

Post by toby dawg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Well if u accidentally reversed polarity, there is a fuse on the bottom of the mother board really close to where the power goes in, Its larger and white and says 6.37 A or something like that. try bypassing it. (Been there and done that today with my portable)

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 am

toby dawg wrote:Well if u accidentally reversed polarity, there is a fuse on the bottom of the mother board really close to where the power goes in, Its larger and white and says 6.37 A or something like that. try bypassing it. (Been there and done that today with my portable)
yeah, thanx for the clarification, dude :)
i thought so too.
the polarity was different on my ps2 jack than the battery's jack. that must have done it :(.

so, you say it may well be a fuse due to reverse polarity, um can this be fixed? cause my ps2 is an model wich isn't in production any more, rather hard to find a replacement. plus the newer ps2 models sch's can't run free mc boot, like the ssh 9004 which i saw in my local store.

i thought of getting an replacement adapter to maybe fix my no power problem,
so you say i can somehow bypass this issue and make the ps2 has it's red light again?
you have already done it and how can i do it and is it easy to do and what do i need?
from materials or anything extra?

the adapter gives the 8.5v power, its just that my ps2 isn't receiving any power from it to light up due to the reverse polarity problem.

thanx for the help and looking forward to the solution to my no power problem. :)

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:02 pm

What i mean is if u accidently hooked up the power backwards at some point, the fuse on ur ps2 will blow. If that happens it will not turn on when plugged in and u wont have ur little red light. This is a ps2 slim im assuming right?

check this out. Image

The white one that says 6.3A. So thats the one i blew anyway. All you have to do to bypass a fuse is solder a wire across it. The fuse blown is an open connection. So you just make both ends connect with a wire and then power can go through the wire you solder on there.
Also remember the positive on the jack is the center post. Ground is on both sides.

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 pm

toby dawg wrote:What i mean is if u accidently hooked up the power backwards at some point, the fuse on ur ps2 will blow. If that happens it will not turn on when plugged in and u wont have ur little red light. This is a ps2 slim im assuming right?

check this out. Image

The white one that says 6.3A. So thats the one i blew anyway. All you have to do to bypass a fuse is solder a wire across it. The fuse blown is an open connection. So you just make both ends connect with a wire and then power can go through the wire you solder on there.
Also remember the positive on the jack is the center post. Ground is on both sides.
sweet! will try it, so i solar the center point of the power dc jack to the left white thing part as on your pic, it is for positive, the left/right of the dc jack are negative. so do i solder them to the right of the white thing as well? and since they are both negative i only have to solder one of them?

also to get to the area shown on your pic without much fuss, what step do i have to take? like which part do i remove to get the area like in your pic?

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 pm

NO dont do that. Replace the white fuse with a wire. Dont solder anything to the power jack. This is on the bottom on the board. Solder a wire from one end of the white thing to the other.

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm

toby dawg wrote:NO dont do that. Replace the white fuse with a wire. Dont solder anything to the power jack. This is on the bottom on the board. Solder a wire from one end of the white thing to the other.
so when you mean solder one wire to the white thing to the other area of it, so not like this:

or this: Image

but solder like this:

which one of these is the correct one i should solder?

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Haha yeah man its the last one. Try that.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:16 pm

You should never by pass a fuse.

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:44 am

Haunted360 wrote:You should never by pass a fuse.
thanx for the clarification, Haunted360 :)
i kew that Toby dawn wasn't saying the right info, he only said about a solution but he didn't show any evidence to show that it is true.
and that last comment he made was strange, the mocking way he joked about it. like if he knew he's "method" i quote doesn't work and he only said that this is the correct way and donating that in caps, DOO NOT solder anything to the power jack. so he said that he's method works and it might/won't work for my ps2 and I'm the one who will have a dead ps2 instead of fixing it :(.

glad you came just in time to help me out, haunted360. i haven't done anything to mu ps2 yet, so you saved me from a nearly dead old model hard to find now ps2 :)
so is the "correct" method haunted360, the soldering of the positive point on the power jack area to the white thing positive area?

as stated in this no power fix guide:

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/tutorials/57/1-t810/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the red light does come back on, shroud i follow this guide or buy a new 8.5v adapter, what do you think Haunted360?

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Hmm... I do not know why he is bridging the fuse trace with the Vc line. Unless the trace is damaged, you do not need to do that.

I think the fuse may be gone. So test it with a multimeter...

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:50 am

Haunted360 wrote:Hmm... I do not know why he is bridging the fuse trace with the Vc line. Unless the trace is damaged, you do not need to do that.

I think the fuse may be gone. So test it with a multimeter...
so, i should do the continuity test to see if a fuse exists or not.
what else can i do?

A) buy a new ps2 slim?
B) buy a new adapter?
C) solder the trace to what the guide said if it is damaged? (i'll do a check on this)
D) i was thinking of maybe replacing the yellow jack on the ps2 with a spare yellow jack the same kind i have, will it work?

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:28 am

If you can not fix something as simple as this, then I do not know how you would be up to making a portable :roll:

Check the fuse. If it has blown, then your wiring or voltage is in-correct.
If it is fine, then check your wiring again and ensure that it has been soldered correctly and your power output (battery) is charged.

Multimeter is your friend here.

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 pm

I swear to god that fixed mine. Messed up the polarity and that fuse went on mine. But what ever. If u thought that was wrong u would of called me out on it, so i call bs. And why not by pass a fuse (i know its not great practice)? In a pinch it works and i doubht it would be fun to find another tiny surface mount fuse.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:21 pm

It's perfectly acceptable to bypass a fuse as long as you're smart enough not to hook it up wrong again.

If you're not smart enough to not hook up the power wrong again then no, do not bridge a blown fuse.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance