Can I do something with the PlayStation 1 (not the PSone)?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

kevschow
Can I do something with the PlayStation 1 (not the PSone)?

Post by kevschow » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey folks,

Today I noticed I had a PlayStation one (The one at the very bottom of the pic) hidden in some old stuff. About a month ago I read an article about Ben Heck and I thought it very appealing to shrink my old consoles. While browsing the guides I noticed all of them are for the PSone and not for the kind I have . . . what gives?

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Can I do something with the PlayStation 1 (not the PSone)?

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 am

since most people here turn consoles into portables, it is preferable to use the smaller version of the playstation. doesn't mean you can't mod or make a portable out of the original ps. ;)
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

link7724
Steam ID:yoshie257

Post by link7724 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Im looking for the same thing, i have mine taken apart, and everything unplugs from the main board, just like a pc. I might attempt this blind.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:59 pm

If you have the bottom one shown in that picture with the composite jacks I personally wouldn't mod it. That is the first Playstation model 1001 which is going to have the biggest board out of all the original design models, and iirc might have some heating issues but that was probably hearsay to sell more warranties. At the bottom of the console has the revision, 9001 is the smallest, almost the size of the psone remodel.

Tapatalk Mobile Post Woooooooo

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 am

I think the original PS1 had a separate board for the power supply while the PSone had it integrated into the motherboard. That's probably why most people using the later for portables, but I'm sure you could still do something with a older PS1....

official xbox fiend

DK

Post by DK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:25 am

The later motherboards in the Ps1 are actually smaller than a PSone. Can technically make a smaller portable. Worked out you can fit one into a Gamegear, think I have a bit of a build thread of it somewhere on the forum.

Power is easy enough if you use a TI regulator.

kevschow

Post by kevschow » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,

Yeah it looks like I won't be able to do much. Looks like I'll have to plug it in to play ol' Syphon Filter :I
If anyone's interested in buying the console or controllers let me know~

i DO have a Dreamcast however.

hehe
hehehe
he

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Some people use their PS1s as hi-fi stero systems if you are into that sort of thing. Got some info on it here

official xbox fiend

Indecom

Post by Indecom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm currently making a portable of the psx in the middle. The motherboard on that one is a little bigger than the mobo from the psx on the top, but it's still plenty small enough to fit it into the case of a portable dvd player. You will need a power regulator from TI to get rid of that big yellow power supply that the psx comes with.