Handheld to Console?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

sevin0seven
PSN Username:sevin0seven
360 GamerTag:sevin0seven
Steam ID:sevin0seven
Handheld to Console?

Post by sevin0seven » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:16 pm

anybody here know how to make a handheld into a home console?

for example:
Game boy
Game Gear
GBA
Atari Lynx

wallydawg

Re: Handheld to Console?

Post by wallydawg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Gameboy and GBA you can use the gb player on Gamecube. :trollface:

If you really wanted to though there is this TV out thing they made a long time ago that's pretty rare now. Another thing that was made I think was called the Miracle Ray, he connected a psone screen to his GBA; to make a home console would essentially be the same thing. It's been mentioned many times here on the site so search that for more info. You'll get much better results with the Gamecube gb player though so I don't really see the point but a lot of things here are like that so whatever. ;)

Gamegear you can use the gg tv out thing loveablechevy used in her gg/sms portable. She had a lot of information on it so search her posts.

Nothing you can do with the Lynx as far as I've seen.

Tapatalk Mobile Post Woooooooo

sevin0seven

Post by sevin0seven » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:36 pm

what i mean was to make it a real home console with AV out/power adapter and it's own wired controllers. like a real home console. most of the mods here are turning a home console into a handheld. how about the other way around?

not looking for attachment like super game boy or gba player for gc.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Yes, it's been done before. I don't have links or a good place to look thanks to the recent forum re-arranging, though.

omp

Post by omp » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:08 am

Kind of like this?

This is my GG I have modded quite some time ago. It uses a viletim video out board, 2 player controller port pinched from a dead MD2 and the cartridge slot has been relocated. Both controller ports work, player one is simply tapped off the GG's contacts and player teo is taken from the EXT port. I have used the SMS pause on the controller mod so I can use that to work the start button. I use my modified SMS (well Mega Drive control pad re-wired) control pad for this.
Attachments
DSC00007.JPG
DSC00007.JPG (125.36KiB)Viewed 13788 times

sevin0seven

Post by sevin0seven » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

^yes, that's what i'm talking about. very cool mod 8) . how is the video resolution output to the TV?

omp

Post by omp » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:15 pm

The resolution is the same with the GG's with the image only taking up 1/2-3/4 of the screen. The board allows for composite, s-video and RGB, I was happy enough with composite on this one. I have another 2 boards from viletim, but just need to find time to do them lol!

nintendokid

Post by nintendokid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:20 pm

omp wrote:The resolution is the same with the GG's with the image only taking up 1/2-3/4 of the screen. The board allows for composite, s-video and RGB, I was happy enough with composite on this one. I have another 2 boards from viletim, but just need to find time to do them lol!

Whats up omp? so your a member on this site too wow small area mate.

Kumimono
PSN Username:Kumimono
360 GamerTag:Kumimono
Steam ID:Jarska333

Post by Kumimono » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:53 am

I'm wondering, if you could get an old slide projector, and attach a back-lit console to it, for a projection console... :P

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Kumimono wrote:I'm wondering, if you could get an old slide projector, and attach a back-lit console to it, for a projection console... :P
Yep. You need to remove the back of the LCD to let light shine through, and you'll want a piece of glass in between the lamp and the LCD to keep the heat from damaging the LCD and you need to mount the LCD backwards compared to its normal light source. If you use the console's backlight, it will be very dim and the image will be mirrored (as it is flipped by going through the lens).

There's a decent sized community of people who build their own projectors for PCs that do the same basic thing with a standard LCD screen (a slide projector is too small for that use, so they build their own).

Kumimono
PSN Username:Kumimono
360 GamerTag:Kumimono
Steam ID:Jarska333

Post by Kumimono » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am

Yup, I've seen a few LCD/overhead projector projects, though none of the slide types. I quess you'd be restricted to just one console.