Game Genie with top-loader NES

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

impossiblescissors
Game Genie with top-loader NES

Post by impossiblescissors » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:54 pm

I recently sold off my Retro Duo because my girlfriend has a genuine top-loader NES (yes, I plan on marrying this girl!) I realize that back when the top-loader was sold, there was an adapter so the Game Genie would fit in the top-loader. If I want to use Game Genie with the top-loader now, could I modify the Game Genie to fit by simply trimming the plastic shell? Or is there an electrical incompatibility which requires the adapter to fix it? Depending on the complexity of the project, i could just build the adapter myself...

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Game Genie with top-loader NES

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Yes, you can modify the game genie to work in the model 2....the genie won't look to happy when you're done though :lol:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 pm

sorry to bump, but the plastic casing isn't the problem when it comes to the game genie fitting in the nes2. the problem is the nes2 cart slot is extremely tight and doesn't have pins on the very middle 4 spots. instead, it is just hard plastic that doesn't give. the game genie has a very thick board to allow for it to work in the original nes.

i suppose you could dremel away that part of the game genie board, since those 4 pins are only for the expansion port that was never implemented. or you could take the dremel to your nes cart slot. i wouldn't suggest the latter...

i simply swapped the retro duo's nes cart slot for the nes2 cart slot. that way i can use the game genie on my nes2 without having to cut the game genie board any.
Last edited by lovablechevy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

brpc24

Post by brpc24 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Are you sure that would work? From what I read since it's "thick" instead of just being too wide you can't really do that effectively since you would be cutting at the contacts. Of course I don't really know if that's true which is why I posted the topic in the first place.

I even read something about transferring it to a new PCB which would be completely disastrous if I attempted anything like that.

I could definitely look into the rip-off NESes, I do seem to see those a lot at Movie Trading Company. I just wish there was some workaround that I was overlooking.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:18 am

lovablechevy wrote:the problem is the nes2 cart slot is extremely tight and doesn't have pins on the very middle 4 spots. instead, it is just hard plastic that doesn't give.
like i said, it really is just those. you can get the board to go into where just the pins are at an angle, but that obviously does you no good. it's the hard plastic that doesn't give at all that is the issue. people have gotten the game genie into the top loader before by extreme force. but couldn't really get it out again. if the entire cart slot was the issue of it being too tight, they'd not be able to get it in at all. it's just that plastic in the middle. cutting off those 4 pins on the game genie wouldn't really effect the game genie in any way, since those 4 pins are never used for anything.
brpc24 wrote:Are you sure that would work? From what I read since it's "thick" instead of just being too wide you can't really do that effectively since you would be cutting at the contacts. Of course I don't really know if that's true which is why I posted the topic in the first place.
i have no idea what you mean about it being too wide. it's not too wide... the board is just thicker than normal game boards.

i didn't realize i had the name wrong to the pic in my previous post showing. so i fixed that.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!