X360 Controller Drift Problem

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

keithernet
360 GamerTag:keithernet
X360 Controller Drift Problem

Post by keithernet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Some of my controllers will continue to move in a particular direction after letting go of the left thumb stick. It drives me crazy and messes me up in some of my games.

What can I do to fix the problem?

Cheers!

RDC

Re: X360 Controller Drift Problem

Post by RDC » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:04 pm

The best way is to just replace the Stick. 14 solder joints, and the LT needs to be removed as well to get to the LS connections, so 3 more for that part first.

You can mess with uninstalling and reinstalling it, or screw with the POT on the thing for hours, but 9/10 times just replacing it with a new one will straighten it up, especially if they have been in there for awhile and been put thru their paces, it doesn't take much hardcore gaming to wear those things out.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

keithernet

Post by keithernet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Up until now, I would just spend the money and buy a new controller. But it seems like such as waste. Especially with these nice silver controllers with the adjustable d-pad.

This could be the point in time where I decide to increase my soldering skills and position myself to get into mods.

Where do I find new replacement parts?

Thanks!!

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Google never hurt anyone looking for anything. ;) Part number for them is RKJXP1224002, and those are the same ALPS brand that are in there now and they can range form around $3 to $8 a pop depending on where you get them. You can get cheaper 3rd party sticks, but you'll notice a difference in them versus the ALPS brand.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

keithernet

Post by keithernet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Google is my go-to source, but it can't match sage advice from folks like you!

Thanks, that is extremely helpful.

:)