Xbox 360 Controller Mods Galore!

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

newtype06
360 GamerTag:Dr Int3rnet
Steam ID:newtype06
Xbox 360 Controller Mods Galore!

Post by newtype06 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 am

I was wondering if anyone knows the pin-out for xbox 360 thumbsticks. Theoretically these sticks can be swapped for a trackball or even a psp or 3DS circle pad.
Personally if I could get a few hints on the wiring, I could fire up and soldering iron and order a few parts from ebay, of course posting pictures the whole way.
I have found 3DS circlepads on ebay fairly cheap, so that is what I would like to start with as a project.

You can trust me on my craftsmanship, but google has failed me on the wiring schematics.
I'm not experienced enough to use an voltmeter/ohmeter to find out.

Full credit will be given for those that help with wiring these bad boys up! I'll try to at least find some pictures of the pins on each.

newtype06
360 GamerTag:Dr Int3rnet
Steam ID:newtype06

Re: Xbox 360 Controller Mods Galore!

Post by newtype06 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:00 am

It's a shame that it has been a week, and no one has any idea on the pinouts for these control sticks. I'm really hoping someone will come through for me.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 am

There mainly all the same.

A X and Y axis, with a button for the clicking.

That raw data from the pots, gets sent to the ASIC, and it does what it needs to do.

You will most likely, need a microcontroller to tell it what you need it to do. Especially for a trackball, as those keep spinning, and a pot only goes so far, and has a deadzone...

You could follow a PlayStation or Dreamcast guide. There the same processes...

JerginsSoft

Post by JerginsSoft » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Just a heads up, this has already been done.

A creative fellow named jay Garcia was industrious enough to do exactly what your asking, as far as a trackball is concerned.

I would love to know how he did it, tho. He sells them for about $120, if you're interested.

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:02 pm

If you can't use a DMM to figure out how the sticks in a 360 controller work, then getting anything wired up in their place isn't going to be any easier.

The sticks are nothing but voltage dividers. The Wireless 360 CG controller has a 1.5v Analog voltage line, and changing the value between 0v to 1.5v is all the POT on the stick does, with it being 0.75v while sitting dead center. Encoder wheels and track balls use a completely different setup, so some sort of PIC/AVR will need to be put in between them to handle the conversion.

There have been several people that have attempted or made up something similar, couple on the XS forums awhile back, and there's plenty of info around on them and most of what they did.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Ah, RDC I love your slot loading 360. Good work right there.

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks Haunted360, though if I ever learn to code worth a squirt I'll be doing that project (on steroids) again, something like a 400 disc changer instead of a slot loader. ;) I still have a PS3 slot loader made up as well, just need to get around to putting the rest of the 360 in the PS3 case.

@ newtype06 - The 360 controller info I have posted over at XS might help you out some. - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=471958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 am

Wait. So it is a PS3 slot load drive, in a 360?

400 disc changer? lol. Sounds like Ben Hecks one he just made. But 400!

Would be better to do a flash system for it instead. So all the games load from a HDD for example. Exactly like Microsoft has done, but the protection would need to be removed to allow them to boot.

I managed to get my PSone SLD working. Just finalising it so it can be sold and it wont break in the console for the buyer :P

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 am

It's a 360 drive (Ben-Q) stuffed in the PS3 Slot Loader chassis. Same thing I did with the iMac drive for the other Slot Loader, just used a PS3 Slot Loader this time, so I figured may as well use the rest of the PS3 case for the rest of the 360, just haven't felt like finishing it up is all.

The games loading from the HDD has already been done for the 360 now, and with the latest jtag hack find it's all the kiddies can do to not be a game pirate now. A changer would keep the thing legal, unless the drive were flashed, but I'd be after a 'stock' setup as ripping and 'backups' don't hold my fancy.

Sorry bout the off topic stuff in your thread newtype06.

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 am

Ah cool. Should be excellent!

lol. This isn't off topic. Off topic would be going
"gobble gable im a troll. I R > 1337 HA><OR"... :mrgreen:

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:47 pm

When the topic is controller mods and Slot Loaders are being discussed, that's off topic. ;)

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 pm

pardon my ignorance RDC as I bow down to your forum mastery, but what was the new break through in JTAG?

My understanding is that JTAG must be done on a "blade" xbox 360, and with so few around anymore... I was under the impression that JTAG is slowly fading away (sadly)

I have a 360 waiting to be JTAG'd I just need to get the transistors, resistors, Printer cable port header etc.

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:48 pm

The reset glitch/hack is what I was referring to, so not technically jtag, though it'll be used for the same thing and can be done on more versions.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 pm

@RDC - just goes to show what happens when i don't visit XBS in a few weeks. Big news in the 360 world, not surprising though since the last few months have a few youtube vids showing slims running Xellous and etc.

Just your opinion (and I know it's hard to say since this hack isn't mainstream yet) but what do you think is better JTAG or Reset? JTAG is obviously going to be faster, but Reset has the advantage of being run on Slims... in a direct head to head, would you pick JTAG over Reset?

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 am

I personally don't go in for any of it as nothing homebrew has really peaked my interest enough, and every time you refresh the page some new version of something is out. With the reset glitch working on more versions it'll be all over the place before long and you'll see how it works out, but since the end game is the same I don't see any advantage to either, just depends on the version of 360 you either have or want to hack.