Xbox, how to slim and cut down power?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Jakeyb
Xbox, how to slim and cut down power?

Post by Jakeyb » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:30 pm

As a fun project, i was looking to make an xbox portable. But i need to know how to slim it down and cut the power down. Any help?
Pm me with sales of consoles/accesorries , can be modded or original.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Xbox, how to slim and cut down power?

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:22 am

Google is your friend...
Wow! Ben Heck has his own show. Who knew! ;)
Spoiler:
And no. You can not cut the power down. If it needs 12 volts at 1 amp, you give it 12 volts with 1 (or more) amps.

Jakeyb

Post by Jakeyb » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:20 am

Okay, thanks. But what can i remove apart from the case that can slim it down?
Pm me with sales of consoles/accesorries , can be modded or original.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Jakeyb wrote:Okay, thanks. But what can i remove apart from the case that can slim it down?
Remove the DVD drive unless you absolutely need it. The heat sinks can be replaced with slimmer ones (like the iceberg pro 4), the PSU can be replaced with a microATX one, and you could probably knock down some of the capacitors for more space. Also try to get a hold of a 1.2-1.5 motherboard cause they are probably the best for making a slim xbox.

official xbox fiend

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 am

Joes2Silly wrote:
Jakeyb wrote:Okay, thanks. But what can i remove apart from the case that can slim it down?
Remove the DVD drive unless you absolutely need it. The heat sinks can be replaced with slimmer ones (like the iceberg pro 4), the PSU can be replaced with a microATX one, and you could probably knock down some of the capacitors for more space. Also try to get a hold of a 1.2-1.5 motherboard cause they are probably the best for making a slim xbox.
Just thought I would let you know, that was your '1337' post count. lol.

And yes. Correct. Though, if you remove the DVD drive, how would you play (or boot from the HDD) the games?

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Keys to slimming down your xbox -

1.1 - 1.5 make best slims, 1.1 has no daughter USB board, but has the biggest TSOP for flashing. BTW, TSOP flashing is a must unless you absolutely have no choice but a chip.

1.1 has the older connector head, which isn't as convenient as a 1.2-1.5

after modding via TSOP (I can give instructions and links if you need them) rip all of your games to your hard drive. At this point I strongly recommend either getting a SATA -> IDE converter or a really big laptop IDE hard drive. Laptop IDE's are harder to come by and are smaller, I bought one the other day for $50 and it was 160 gigs. For $100 I also bought a 1 terabyte SATA 2.5 in HDD.

So yeah, rip all of the games to your hard drive. Once you have completed this process, I also recommend taking the time to back them up to your PC so that they are available should your hard drive fail. Remove the DVD drive from your xbox and ensure that your TSOP's reference file (I am presuming you would use one of either the x2 5035 bios or iND bios) indicates that DVD check is disabled.

With a little work you can put together a shortened IDE cable, or properly folded, and build a custom holder for the hard drive. I recommend putting it where the DVD drive used to go. You can use the ICE BERQ PRO heatsink/fans on the CPU/GPU. PicoPSU @ 250w will be plenty to support power wise. That cuts your height down considerably, and gives you an extra two inches of space where the old PSU used to be.

So now you will have an xbox that boots without a DVD drive, capable of being considerably shrunk down in size, and is better cooled. All without a modchip :P you can also build a BIOS switch if it is a 1.0-1.1 and load both BIOSes on it if you want, but I don't really see the point.