PS3 to VGA - The easiest way to connect a monitor to a PS3

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
PS3 to VGA - The easiest way to connect a monitor to a PS3

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi, I am going to get a ps3, and I have a 23" 1080p monitor with a DVI-D cable but its not hdcp compliant. I am stuck to convert the signal to VGA. There are 2 ways I have found of doing this:

1: Get a HDMI to VGA transcoder box which is quite expensive. I reckon this is definitely going to work, and I will get the best video quality. (e.g the HDFury)

2 Get the Wii/PS3 cable (Which is still dont know how it works - does it have a transcoder in or just wiring?) And hook it up to analogue. I think my picture quality may be slightly worse, but it is quite a bit cheaper.
(e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wii-PS3-VGA-C ... 43a8c755b5 )

Which one would be the best, and does the Wii/PS3 cable actually work?

Thanks, Seb Smith :D
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

tom61

Re: PS3 to VGA - The easiest way to connect a monitor to a PS3

Post by tom61 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Solution 2 does have a transcoder inside it. I've only used one with the Wii, and it was pretty decent quality on it. The only issue I know of is that Blu-Ray playback may limit itself to 720p when using the transcoder cable(which shouldn't matter too much on a monitor that small). You'll only get full 1080p Blu-Ray playback if the PS3 thinks you have a HDCP monitor from what I understand.

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 am

I just contacted the seller and this is what they said back to me:

Unfortunately, we can't give specific compatibility advice - the only way to find out really is to try the cable. It does not have a transcoder built in, though, as this cable simply outputs the normal console output through a VGA port relying on the monitor to interpret it correctly. This way it doesn't need to convert the signal at all, but it does mean that a higher number of monitors will have difficulties with it.

Like I said, the only way to find out about your specific setup is really to try it. Due to the unpredictability of these cables we always accept returns of opened items, so you would spend only the cost of sending it back to us (£2.16 by Second Class post) in trying it. Simply let me know if you need to return it after you've bought it and I can send you returns instructions.

I am probably going to have to go with the HDMI to VGA trancoder option rather than this as my monitor wont support component over VGA. I would buy this cable if it did though...

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 am

ssmith43654 wrote:Unfortunately, we can't give specific compatibility advice - the only way to find out really is to try the cable. It does not have a transcoder built in, though, as this cable simply outputs the normal console output through a VGA port relying on the monitor to interpret it correctly. This way it doesn't need to convert the signal at all, but it does mean that a higher number of monitors will have difficulties with it.
The seller seems to be mistaken, the green RCA cable would be useless if it was relying on the PS3 to output RGB, as it reuses some of the pins for RGB in the component cable. It doesn't do sync conversion, that may cause the seller to be confused. While the LCD I tried it with may work with component, the 20-some year old arcade monitor I tried it successfully with does not and the US Wii lacks RGB out.