NES VCR?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Reubensupernerd
NES VCR?

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 am

I have an NES shell from a portable project, and I want to do something with it. Initially I was going to build a computer, but people have done that many times before. I had a vhs tape right next to my tv and I compared the size. Obviously it wasn't going to fit the wide way in, but if you were to position it the other way there's maybe a half inch of clearance. So I was wondering, could you fit a VCR in an NES? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to try it.
Reuben

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: NES VCR?

Post by Snow_Cat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:36 am

^-m-^ Yeah...
^ ^ ^ ^That could work. I'd suggest starting with the tape mechanism out of a camera as these are already compact.
^- - ^ You would need to make a different tray/caddy to handle the tapes (end instead of top), that might require a fair bit of math to get the lever action required to engage the tape mechanism, bit it should be technically possible.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm going to browse ebay for a VHS camcorder.

Dr.Mushroom

Post by Dr.Mushroom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I really want to do this same thing. Have you had any luck? I thought one of those VHS rewinders might come in handy, since the one I have accepts the tapes ""sideways" like the NES would have to. I'm not very proficient with modifications though, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, how is project coming? Any chance of a tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Well Dr.Mushroom (I find that name humorous), you are not late to the party, I am simply lethargic. I did buy the parts to experiment with this, but it fell by the wayside because I needed to complete my genesis AV + region mod before my friend moved to Europe. I should be done with that shortly, and then my work on this can continue. As far as using a VHS rewinder for this, I believe that would be possible. If you chose that route you'd have to install the heads and other components, and then you would need to align them. Perhaps if you had a VCR assembly small enough to keep intact, and then used the tape loading mechanism from the rewinder, then that might work. With a bit of hacksaw/dremel work anyway. You've inspired me to continue with this project, and when I finish this, I'll be sure to make a tutorial. Stay tuned.
Thanks,
Reuben

MichelMoermans

Post by MichelMoermans » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am

Cool sound awesome! Can't wait to see it!

No idea about the vhs though. I think a dvd player would be by far the easiest, but a vhs player would be awesome!

(random idea, why not build a toaster in the nes case? I've seen toasters turned into a nes before but never the other way around :p )

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:20 am

@MichelMoermans Thanks for the interest! You can search around on youtube and find videos of NES DVD players so it has been done before, I've never seen nor heard of an NES VCR though. As for the toaster in the NES case, its certainly doable though i'd be concerned about how well the toaster components were insulated from the case (if there were no insulation I've no doubt it would melt).

Reuben

MichelMoermans

Post by MichelMoermans » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:05 am

I don't know my toaster at home is plastic to so with using the standard insulation on it it should not melt I think. Though I think it would be very hard to match the toaster slot with the cartslot of the nes since most toasters have the slot in the middle. still vcr would rule and a vcr is cheap to come by nowadays. So I'm looking forward to see what you come up with :)

On an unrelated note, my girlfriend made me promise that if I ever got a round to doing a portable I would use the shell to make her a jewelry box ;) :p