starting xbox 360 slim laptop (update 1)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

pbplayerjim
starting xbox 360 slim laptop (update 1)

Post by pbplayerjim » Fri May 27, 2011 9:13 pm

I have started working on an xbox 360 slim laptop. Some parts are still in mail but they are all ordered. I managed to get it for under 300 dollars too which I thought was quite good. I will update this as work gets done. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Current materials.
-250GB slim
-plexiglass for the case
-17" gateway widescreen LCD
-hinges, buttons, and speakers ripped from an old inspiron 1520
-HDMI to DVI adapter for better video than VGA
-Adesso Mini USB/PS2 Keyboard
-various wiring and ribbon cable

I do not have acess to a CNC machine until I get back to school and start metal shop so I have to use plexiglass, a table saw, and the almighty dremel. This also means the case may be a bit more boxy so i may try a briefcase mod too. The power supply will be modded and external. Why put it in the laptop when you want it as slim as possible? Either way the weight for carrying around will be the same. If I enjoy making this and do a good job and don't suffer from an aneurysm then I may build these for others.

So again any advice appreciated and expect this to be updated after memorial day. I will be doing video log style progress updates.

first video log. I meant to say analog audio not video. I also do have the keyboard hooked up.

Second update. I am now waiting on speakers to get here along with my disk drive cables. It is very slow shipping.

abysskeq

Re: starting xbox 360 slim laptop (update 1)

Post by abysskeq » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey,

I am building a 360 laptop aswell with plexiglass, just wondering whats your progress on yours? I would love to see an update.

I am currently stuck trying to figure out how the hell to do the monitor portion with plexiglass. Any pointers? Also what hinges are you using?

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:22 pm

i would use some southco constant friction hinges. Also, for the monitor i suggest that you make it very strong, as the monitor is connected to the hinges and supports most of the laptop.

Would like to see an update aswell, good luck!

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

DarkReaper4786
360 GamerTag:DarkReaper4786

Post by DarkReaper4786 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:24 am

It isn't very hard to remove the thin flex for the touch buttons but it is sticky once it is removed just put some tlc into removing it. I removed mine and will be relocating the rol.

pbplayerjim

Post by pbplayerjim » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Hey guys. An update is coming soon. The project was on hold for a bit because of a broken disk drive and also vacation. I am reinforcing the back with 2 layers of plexiglass and will probably go with the suggestion for hinges or rip em out of an old laptop.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:16 am

i would say to get the adjustable hinges, hat way you can tweak the amount of strength needed to open and close it
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

armarares

Post by armarares » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 am

Why almost all portables made with older consoles are normal and the newer systems (PS3,xBox360 and Wii) are laptops?
Why? :?: