Xbox 360 S Laptop (21.5 inch screen)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

jerryx8664
Xbox 360 S Laptop (21.5 inch screen)

Post by jerryx8664 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm

If the title was not specific to you, here's some literature
Spoiler:
So as the name suggests, I'm building a Xbox 360 S Laptop. The reason for it having a 21.5 inch display is for a Kinect. If you had something like a 17 inch display, the screen would be too small to see when you have to stand back the necessary space for the Kinect (just to make things clear, the Kinect probably won't be attached to the Xbox, because the unit needs to tilt, and also you can use the Kinect with another Xbox). Since 21.5 inch is the smallest 1080p display (not counting laptop displays) that you can purchase, so I decided to start with that. Currently I'm in the design phase, but if all goes well I should be able to finish by next weekend (I've spent 2-3 weeks on design alone). Right now for the screen I'm using the LG IPS226V which as the name crudely suggests, it's an IPS screen that is 21.5 inches (seems like all 21.5 inch monitors have a 22 in their model number) and is LED backlit. Sadly it does not run off a 6 volt power supply. Because I'm a big fan of great audio (and 8 bit chiptunes) I added a (hopefully) better pair of speakers to the build. In this case it's the Altec Lansing BXR1220. They don't sound as good without the large resonating tube behind them though. These things are a pain to take apart. the speakers weren't even held together by snap brackets just glue (well there was two screws holding the pedometer, and one nut on the I/0 switch in the back)

Warning, actual spoiler!
Spoiler:
Note: I'm only 13
So I present to you a Xbox (you can skip this part because it's just an Xbox 360 S)
Spoiler:
Thanks to iFixit for the great instructions. I know the image name isn't very descriptive (even though I could edit it on Flickr)
IMG_7831 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr

This is whats left of the case (though I plan to use the original touch power button).
IMG_7834 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
That's it for the Xbox, move along
(Spoiler: It's the screen I'm using)
Spoiler:
Like many things, the display snapped apart at the seams
IMG_7839 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr

The driver board (I don't know what I should blur out, so I just blurred out every barcode that seemed important)
IMG_7843 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
Comments are welcome, anything that you think might be useful for me is also welcome.

Update!
So after lots of thought over the case, the basic shape will be quite simple: 2 pieces of sheet metal will make the case plus supports on the sides. The closest thing it resembles is the Apple Cinema Display. Yesterday I got all the materials in from McMaster (Carr) and I'm getting the first piece of aluminum cut with a waterjet tomorrow. I'll post pics after I get the piece bent. The Delrin I ordered is HEAVY, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing weighs 20 pounds!
One thing I would like to ask the community: is there a CAD program that makes drawing (2D) as easy as Illustrator? I'm trying to learn how to use draftsight, but it's not as simple as Illustrator makes drawing as (well for me at least).
Last edited by jerryx8664 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: Xbox 360 S Laptop (21.5 inch screen)

Post by humakabula1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:53 pm

looking good.
what case technique are you planning on using?
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:20 pm

looks great! i started my xbox laptop when i was 14 and finished it when i was 15, so if you manage to build it you will be the youngest to make a xbox laptop! I will warn you though it is very hard to make an xbox laptop. I encountered a total of 4 red ringed xboxes, but you should only need 1 xbox 360 slim. The hardest thing is making and getting your case. I got hold of some foamex, but you will have to find some. It would be really good to see a work blog of the project and i am sure it will be very interesting. If you need any help, just pm me, i will gladly help you.

GOOD LUCK!

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

jerryx8664

Post by jerryx8664 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 pm

First Update:
So I got the first piece cut with a waterjet! It's a little sharp around the edges, but really economical and pretty accurate. Here's the whole piece:
Spoiler:
IMG_7857 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
The edges aren't perfect, but it has a little sandblasted effect. Going to sand the sharp edges off later. Get ready for another update Monday.
Spoiler:
IMG_7853 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
Until then, I'll be playing Minecraft

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:34 pm

wow that looks sweet!
how much was the cutting?

at least your not playing cod ;)
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

jerryx8664

Post by jerryx8664 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

humakabula1 wrote:how much was the cutting?
About $50
humakabula1 wrote:at least your not playing cod
Was I not supposed to? (Don't you love acronyms?)

jerryx8664

Post by jerryx8664 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 am

I've hit an issue with the aluminum I bought. It's a lot harder to bend then I suspected! I didn't check the temper rating when I bought it, and now I either have to remake the piece out of thinner aluminum, less tempered aluminum, or bend it without a bend radius.

I got the problem's all fixed, and the end result is:
Spoiler:
I changed the material of the side plastic walls, and I'm going to attach them with tiny screws ment for plastic. There's another piece of black delrin going on top of the unit so I countersunk the plastic to match that. I'll start work on the monitor after i finish up this base unit.
IMG_7859 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
IMG_7861 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
IMG_7863 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr

MichelMoermans

Post by MichelMoermans » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow really nice! I am very impressed, more even knowing your age!

Keep it up! I'll be following this!

jerryx8664

Post by jerryx8664 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 pm

A little more work has been done! This time it's minor though.
Spoiler:
I screwed in the plastic walls, and brushed the screws I got manually.
IMG_7876 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
This was taken with my iPod Touch with a CD drive's lens as a macro lens:
Hand Brushed Screw by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
This is a screw from a MacBook Air: (Pretty no?)
Apple Brushed Screw by jerryhudesign, on Flickr

jerryx8664

Post by jerryx8664 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I got the top piece waterjet cut! Finally something nice to look at. The cuts aren't perfect, but I can sand the notches away with a file.
Spoiler:
It's 1/8 thick black Delrin. I didn't see that the flatness was not rated so it has a sort of potato chip bend to it.
IMG_7883 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr

(More or less) Closeup of the original power button. I got it to sit flush with the plastic.
IMG_7879 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr

The fan vent looks nice?
IMG_7880 by jerryhudesign, on Flickr
Well, that's it for this week, I'll be working on it (and hopefully finishing the bottom half) this weekend. In the meantime, any tips on extending the RoL and the pinouts for analog audio+hdmi video?