door lock made from flash drive and arduino

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

projectsrmylife

Post by projectsrmylife » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey guys, i was wondering if it was possible to make a door unlock using a servo and an arduino to control it. Here is my idea:

servo is connected to door lock or handle (whichever works best)
that connects to arduino and with some script that ill be making
flash drive plugs into the usb connector bay i have
that runs to the arduino also

so whats gonna happen is the usb bay i have will be placed outside of the door on the wall and when you plug the flash drive in which has some short script on it, the usb will be read by the computer or arduino and will read the script. the arduino will then trigger the servo to rotate to open the lock.

I currently have the following parts with me:
Usb bay
flash drive
lock :D

What i need:
Servo motor
arduino (i was considering a nano, but since its far from my pc, maybe a fio with xbee transmitter and reciever)
Script (to be written)
batteries (if i use fio arduino)

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: door lock made from flash drive and arduino

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Yes, it has been done many times before...
http://hacknmod.com/hack/diy-dorm-room- ... h-arduino/
http://hacknmod.com/hack/secret-knock-d ... door-lock/

Learn the Arduio, and program it. Millions of tutorials on the net (Google if your friend)...

You would want a code (.txt) file for example, that has in the file 12345.
If you plug it into the arudio, it must look for a .txt (or whatever) file what has the digits 12345.
Once verified, it will execute a variable to true and then you can make that turn a servo.

Of course, eventually use higher security than variables and use maybe 128-bit encryption to decryption for a word instead of digits.

projectsrmylife

Post by projectsrmylife » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 pm

I've already read those hacks when browsing the web actually. I have programed arduino before so it's not a problem. But I was wondering if you guys could help with the design and build. I'll post pics of the stuff I have l8r

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I would do it with you, becuase I would not mind one myself as I hate my lock.

However, I already used my arduino so I will have to buy another one. But, I have way to many projects not complete at the moment so I have to pass...

projectsrmylife

Post by projectsrmylife » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am

That's fine. Maybe I'll make one and then sell it preloaded with script and full hardware as a kit on adafruit or somewhere else. I'll make a bunch. But for now, let's think small scale. I'm going to do some more research first. And I'm going to upload pics when I get on the pc.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

projectsrmylife

Post by projectsrmylife » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:51 am

EDIT: Scratch that. NXT got me nowhere. But after countless hours of google searching, i found this: [http://www.instructables.com/answers/i ... 65675.html
It is people asking questions about it but apparenly no one has ever done it. So, I shall be the first!
And heres yet another:
http://www.slashgear.com/usb-authentica ... t-2220034/
But it doesnt actually use the usb to verify anything. it just bridges the pins on the usb female port.
So you could use anything to get in, even a mouse.

Original Post:
Ooh i also forgot to mention that i have a Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0 set that i could use. Im playing around with script in robotC and Nxt-G now.

AltonBehrens

Post by AltonBehrens » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Here is what I'm looking for: key stays in my pocket, when I will be close to the door, door unlock. Exactly like the new car generation does. I know that I can get remote control, but with those devices, users have to push button to unlock the door. This is not easy with bags/briefcase in hands.